Today i have a very very famous North Indian dish for you all… just like for South Indians Comfort meal equates to Rasam , Sambar… For Punjabi’s its ” Rajma / Rajma Masala / Rajma Curry ” . Rajma Masala is basically a curry made from cooked red kidney beans which is later simmered in onion tomato base and few other Indian spices . My hubby just loves this creamy , spicy curry both with chapathi n rice and can have it in all 3 meals of the day. Not just my hubby ,i know this famous Punjabi dish is loved throughout India by almost all . After i started blogging . i don’t know how many times i have prepared this Rajma masala but somehow they have always missed photoshoot stage . Finally i clicked them couple of days back when i had made them for our anniversary and was determined to post it this time. Finally here is my family favorite rajma masala recipe.. Do give a try .. i bet you wil just love it.. if you have some left over ..yes save them and relish them next day too . Tastes more yummier !! Absolute finger licking !!
RESTAURANT STYLE RAJMA MASALA
- 1 Cup Kidney Beans Rajma, soaked overnight
- 1 large size Onions, , finely chopped
- 3 medium size tomato, ; finely chopped or pureed
- 1 inch piece Ginger, -
- 3 - 5 Flakes Garlic
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Powder/ Jeera powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Red chilli powder, as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoons Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Kasoori methi, ( optional )
- to taste Salt
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- 4 tsps Oil+Butter
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 Bay leaf / Tej patta
- Soak rajma in water overnight or atleast for 8 hrs. Drain and discard the water.
- Pressure cook with about 3-4 cups water for 3 whistles on medium and 1 whistle on sim..Note that .. cooking time of rajma may vary depending on the variety . Rajma should be cooked such that it should have retained its shape but when pressed between fingers it should be mushy ( ref pic ) . Don't drain water...reserve the stock .
- Meanwhile Crush ginger , garlic and green chillies in a mortar pestle . Finely chop onions. Puree tomatoes .
- Heat oil+butter in a pan kadai on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf and cumin .Let cumin seeds splutter .
- Add finely chopped onion , ginger garlic chilli paste . Saute till slightly browned .
- Next add the tomato paste and saute well for about 4-5 mins or till raw smell goes and color changes. this is very important step .
- Once the raw smell of the tomato - onion paste goes and they start leaving oil , add all the masalas ie haldi , salt , red chilli powder , dhania powder , jeera powder ,kasoori methi (optional) , garam masala .Saute for 1 -2 mins .
- Add in boiled rajma along with water . Add more water required . Mix well and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gently mash it using the back of the ladle so that few rajma pieces break to give a nice consistency to the curry . Check the salt and other spices. If gravy is too thick then add some water and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for few more minutes or till you get your desire gravy consistency.Finally garnish with chopped coriander leaves .. Punjabi Rajma Masala is ready .
- Serve it hot with some roti /Steamed rice /Jeera Rice along with some Onions on the side . Enjoy !!!
- If using canned beans then no need to soak or pressure cook them. Just rinse under the water and they are ready to use .
- Proper cooking of rajma,is very important. When you bite they should just melt . however to see they should have retained its shape . Under cooked rajma spoils tummy and also curry taste
- If your kidney beans is old stock , then it will take long time to cook properly . in that case you can add a pinch of cooking soda while cooking in the cooker .
- Nicely frying onion tomato paste till it leaves oil is very very important step . If this process is hurried rajma masala doesn't taste that great .
- Addition of kasoori methi is purely optional . I love its flavour and hence like to add it to most of North Indian style curry's .
- If the tanginess from tomatoes are not sufficient , you can add little aamchoor powder too .
- Don't overmash rajma and make it fully paste . Just gentle mash from beind the ladle will do . This wil give nice thick consistency to the gravy . Else sometime , water will be one side , beans will be one side .