How do you finish off those 1 or 2 radishes sitting in your fridge ? If the radish is still fresh .. i normally do radish raita / salad / just add it to sambar when making mixed vegetable sambar . But if the radish has already got little old then this Radish Chutney recipe is ideal to finish it off . Most of us don’t like radish .. so radish chutney is a good way to sneak in this veggie . If you are looking for some new chutney variety to go along with your idli,dosa,rotti or rice you must try this ” Radish Chutney / Moolangi Chutney “. They are yumm..
If you are wondering how a chutney from radish would be … whether the smell of Radish would be strong i suggest you must try it.You can hardly find out the presence of radish in this chutney . You can make this chutney with or without coconut too.Quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular chutneys. Do give a try .. here you go…
RADISH CHUTNEY RECIPE / MULLANGI ( MOOLANGI ) CHUTNEY RECIPE
- 2 small size radish, grated / Chopped
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 2 tsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram channa dal
- 3-5 Red Chillies, (Add more if you like it spicier)
- a pinch Turmeric powder /Haldi
- a pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- small goosberry ( amla ) size Tamarind
- 1 tsp Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 tsp Cooking oil
- wash and peel radish . Grate / chop radish and slice the onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal, hing & red chillies and fry on a medium heat, till dal turns golden. Take out on a plate to cool
- Add grated radish and onion to the kadai. Add salt, turmeric and saute till raw smell from the radish and onions vanishes and they are cooked.
- Turn off the heat & let it cool completely
- Transfer the fried masala, sauted radish -onion ,tamarind and salt to a mixer / blender. Grind to a smooth paste...but don't make super smooth. Taste test .
- Prepare the tempering .Heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add mustard and curry leaves. Now pour this tempering on grounded chutney .
- Serve Radish chutney with hot rice / idli / dosa / chapathi etc . Stays good for 3-4 days in fridge .