Ragi Idli Recipe With Step By Step Photos | How to do Soft Ragi Idli
Ragi Idli / Finger Millet Idli – a healthy , nutritious , soft idli made with ragi & urad dal as a major. If you want to avoid rice and still have idli , this Ragi Idli is perfect for you as no rice has added into it . Yet the end result is super soft & tasty . Try this low carb , gluten free Ragi idli and enjoy with your choice of chutney / Sambar !
Why is Ragi Idli Healthy ?
Any Idli , as such is very healthy since its steamed and is quite filling. Idli from superfood Ragi is super healthy. Ragi is an excellent source of fiber and low in fat which is why its most recommended food by dietitians.Its a perfect diabetic friendly dish.Its also a absolute weight watchers delight.It fills you up well and is not high in calories.
Looking for some healthy breakfast / dinner ? I am sure most of us are ..Apart from being healthy, it has to be tasty,easy n has to receive thumbs’up from all…Right ? Generally if something is made of a healthy ingredient it doesn’t attract people .Well… I am super confident that my today’s post Ragi Idli fulfills all these criteria and will definitely make your breakfast or dinner a sumptuous one..A lovely variation from the normal rice n urad idli.
If you have a doubt that won’t these idlis turn hard as they are made of ragi , trust me & go ahead , give a try !! These Ragi Idlis are fluffy, soft, spongy and light. Addition of methi seeds and the fistfull of poha that we will be adding will do wonders. The same batter you can use for making Dosa , paniyaram too.
Few points to note while making Ragi Idli :
- I use whole ragi grains to make this idli , As it gives a lovely texture . Soaking and grinding Ragi is not at all difficult. However , if you don’t have access to ragi grains , you can use ragi flour . But for great taste and texture , i would recommend whole ragi grains.
- If you are using Ragi flour , after grinding urad dal batter + methi + poha batter , mix ragi flour to it . And allow to ferment.
- As said earlier , with the same batter you can make dosa . Make idli from the fermented batter first day, store the leftover batter and do dosa / paniyaram next day . You can do plain dosa / spice up with some onions , chillies , curry leaves etc.
- Methi seeds & poha helps to soften . So don’t skip .
- Fermentation is the key . Well fermented batter helps in soft idli.
So are you ready to make a note of these healthy Ragi Idlis .. here you go :
RAGI IDLI / FINGER MILLET IDLI
- 3 Cup Ragi / Finger Millet
- 1 cup Urad Dal / Uddine Bele
- 1 tsp Methi / Fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Thick Poha / Dappa Avalakki
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- Coconut Oil / Any oil to grease idli stand
- Take Ragi in a vessel . Wash it nicely 3-4 times to remove any impurities. Soak in water for 4-5 hours.
- To another vessel , add urad dal & methi seeds. Wash & soak for 4-5 hours.
- Just 30 mins before grinding , add thick poha to the urad dal and let them soak.
- After the soaking time ,blend urad dal and methi seeds to a smooth paste in a mixer / grinder ( i normally use grinder ) .Add water in steps . Let the urad batter be soft , fluffy and frothy .Once urad dal is ground perfect , add ragi seeds and grind for some time . Let the ragi break and attain rava texture ( coarse texture ) .
- Once , batter is ready , add salt and mix it nicely with your hand. The consistency of Ragi idli batter should be like regular idli batter .Cover and keep the batter for fermentation. Let it rest in a warm place for 8-10 hours.
- After 8-10 hours / over night you will notice that batter has fermented well . Mix lightly .Pls note that we should avoid rigorous mixing as the air bubbles will escape , leading to dense idlis.
- To make idlis , heat water in the steamer / idli pot . Bring water to boil .Grease the idli plates with oil
- Carefully pour the idli batter on to the greased plates .Steam cook for 10-12 minutes. Switch off and allow to cool slightly before removing from idli plates .
- Using a wet spoon , remove ragi idli . Each time dip the spoon in water and remove , so that idli comes out clean and has a neat surface.
- Enjoy ragi idli with your choice of sambar / chutney / chutney pudi.