Here i bring a quick and easy laddu variety that needs no intro to any Indian – “ Rava Laddu / Suji Laddu “. Are you looking for a quick sweet for a celebration or festival nearby? These Rava laddu fit the bill perfectly! The sandy texture of the roasted semolina, the softness of the coconut, the chewy nuts,aromatic cardamom and those sugary bites…. uff….
Its a different story that being a kid i had never tasted these laddus. Even now i don’t have a sweet tooth, but my kids just love these laddus. All thanks to “Chhota Bheem” and his fascination for laddus. Because of him,my kids are fascinated for all round things and after eating them they imagine themselves to be as powerful as “Bheem”. Love to see those excited faces, innocent conversations and their never ending stories of Bheem and his friends .After i made these laddus , you know what ?? I’ve got a new name – ” Tun Tun Aunty “. People who have watched “Chhota Bheem” cartoon series know ,why my lil monsters named me so.
I have heard many people saying that making rava laddu is difficult ! One needs to make the perfect syrup, etc etc . But i don’t know why i have never erred while making these laddus.Infact it is one of the first few sweets I learned to prepare.There are mainly two ways of making Rava Laddo, one by using sugar syrup and other one by adding sugar powder.. I feel sugar syrup method is easier and also laddus made from this method turn soft and are easy to roll.Flavor wise both of them taste great. Try this simple and exotic sweet recipe & flare up your taste buds.. 😉
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- 1 cup Upma Rava / Regular Semolina
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut, Shredded
- 1/4 cup Ghee, ( you can use few spoons less too )
- 3/4 cup Sugar, (depends on your sweet level)
- Cashew Raisins, ,
- Just pulse in mixer semolina 2-3 times such that they are little fine . Refer note 1 .
- Take a thick-bottomed kadai and little ghee to it. Fry the cashew nuts until light brown over low heat. Drain and transfer to plate. Fry raisins in same ghee until they puff up, drain and transfer them to plate.
- To the same kadai ,add rava ,coconut and remaining ghee .
- Roast it over low heat until its color changes to very light brown and fragrant starts to come .Transfer to a bowl. Be careful , don't over roast .
- Next heat water(approx 1/2 cup) and sugar in the kadai over medium flame and stir continuously until sugar melts into syrup (chachni).The sugar syrup should be sticky and lightly one string consistency. Turn off the heat.Dont overcook the sugar syrup. Ref Notes to see what is "one string consistency " ? Sorry : I couldn't take pic at this stage. As i was afraid while taking pics, my sugar syrup would thicken. 🙁
- Slowly add semolina-shredded coconut mix (prepared in step 3) in syrup and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Add cashew nuts, raisins and cardamom powder and mix well. Allow it to cool at room temperature until warm enough to handle.
- Divide it into equal parts and give them a shape of ball (laddu) with your palms.
- Rava laddus are ready.Store in an airtight container . Stays good for minimum 1 week without refrigeration .
- I don't like rava in my laddu to be coarse . At the same time i don't like to use fine rava ( Chiroti Rava ) . It takes in lot of ghee . So i just pulse upma rava in a mixer 2-3 times and then use . This step is optional and depends on your preference. If you want you can use upma rava /fine rava ( chiroti rava ).
- What is "One String Consistency "sugar syrup? ---- To check whether its “one string” consistency or not, put a drop of syrup on a plate or a small bowl and cool it by blowing air on it. Take a pinch of sugar syrup between your thumb and forefinger, pull them apart and check if single strand is formed.
- Make sure, sugar syrup is not cooked for long time, otherwise mixture would turn hard after adding roasted rava and you would find it hard making laddus. If it happens then add 2-3 tablespoons of warm milk little by little, mix well and later proceed to make laddus. However,shelf life will reduce by adding milk.
- On the other hand , your sugar syrup has not yet reached one string consistency and in a hurry you added rava and the final product is not getting hard to make laddus.. dont worry !!! Just allow it to cool completely and then make laddus.. it should harden /again on the flame just mix the laddu mix for 3-4 minutes till it hardens and becomes a mass . Hope i am clear...
- Make sure that rava is roasted properly. Improperly roasted rava will make sticky laddus. It should be very light brown in color.
- You can avoid coconut if you do not like. Or can reduce the quantities or use dry coconut ( kopra )