Yippee.. Finally my wish of posting a dish from jack fruit before it vanishes from market, is succeeding today. Jack fruit is the seasonal specialty right now (summer ) and the best part is,it is edible in all its stages. Tender raw ones goes for sabzi,curry etc,matured raw ones for chips and then comes the ripe fruit. Even the seeds of the fruit are not thrown off (yes..you read it right).They too can be used in many delicacies. Hope fully over the time ,i’ll be able to share them all and learn many new ones too. But for today its ” Raw Jack fruit Sambar / Raw Jack fruit Curry ” or ” Gujje Huli or Halasinakayi Huli” as known locally. This dish calls for tender raw jack fruit .
Have you ever tasted raw jack fruit and used them as vegetable ? Its a very good source of dietary fiber for vegetarians.Few people tell it as vegetarian meat because of its texture and flavor. Any ways i don’t know how a meat tastes or looks like .. but i can say this veggie tastes divine,yum and we all love it.Agree ,the cleaning process is a bit messy and time consuming but the end result is worth the time spent.
But the most boring and time consuming part in jackfruit is its cleaning and cutting. Once that’s taken care of, Making any dish is just a step away.Do follow this video and give a try. Cutting at home is actually not that difficult afterall the end result is worth all the trouble ????
I normally do this sambar two ways and both the methods brings out the distinct flavor from the jack fruit to the max . Today i am sharing the authentic Mangalore – Udupi style and Mysore style recipe is here. Mildly flavored coconut paste is added to cooked raw jackfruit and tempered with a dash of coconut oil. Hmmm.. As i write i can feel the aroma coming out from my kitchen… Can you ?? Do try out and you’l agree with me what i meant… Here goes the recipe…
RAW JACKFRUIT SAMBAR-1
- Half Medium sized tender raw jackfruit
- 1 big cup coconut, Grated
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1 tsp Rice
- 5 - 8 Red Chillies
- lemon sized Tamarind
- lemon sized Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- few Curry Leaves
- to taste Salt
To Temper :
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- When we cut Jack fruit , a thick "milk" oozes from it. This is sticky in nature and stains. So without forgetting ,before cutting rub generous amount of coconut oil to your hand and grease the cutting knife too.
- Cut the raw jack fruit into half and later into medium size long pieces.Remove outer thorny green skin and the center stalk part.
- Cut raw jack fruit into bite size pieces and put them into water immediately,else they will dis color. Leave it in water for 5 mins. You can observe that the water would be little brownish now. Discard that water.
- Add haldi and cook jack fruit pieces in cooker for 1-2 whistles. If its fresh it will not take much time to cook ( 1 whistle is enough ).
- In a mixer,grind coconut,red chillies,dhania ,jeera and rice to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Transfer cooked jack fruit pieces into a vessel. Add salt,tamarind and jaggery and boil for 3-4 mins.
- Now add ground masala to the jackfruit. Mix well. Add some more water. Keep it on medium flame and bring to boil. Taste test. Switch off.
- Temper .Add a spoon of coconut oil. When its hot add mustard . Once they splutter add curry leaves .Switch off. Pour it over sambar.
- Serve piping hot Tender Raw Jackfruit Sambar with steaming rice .
- Use raw jackfruit only to make sambar. Even if its little ripe , it ll give a sweet smell to the dish.
- Remove the rough skin properly.