Raw Mango Chutney Recipe | How to do Raw Mango Chutney with step by step photos | Mavinakyi chutney | Raw mango chutney recipe Karnataka style
Raw Mango Chutney or Mavinakayi Chutney is a tangy spicy South Indian side dish, that tastes amazingly delicious with plain hot rice, Dosa, Idli and most of the South Indian breakfasts. Tangy raw mangoes grounded with perfectly roasted dal, some chillis and an extra dash of hing .. that aroma, that lingering taste ….aah ..totally irresistible. Hot rice mixed with a spoon full of this chutney and little coconut oil… or eaten as a side with curd rice..trust me…Bliss !! Total drool dish this raw mango chutney is and trust me .. I am not exaggerating !!
There are so many ways… I make raw mango chutney. I had earlier shared one super easy version of it and today it’s another traditional Karnataka version. The tangy and spicy, mavinakayi chutney always represents comfort food for me with lots of nostalgic memories associated with it. The days when I am lazy to cook anything just this chutney .. and I can survive happily on it for all 3 meals. When you try the recipe, I am sure you will join team Mavinaki chutney 🙂 .. haha !!!
Few variations and points to note before making this raw Mango Chutney recipe :
- Adjust the quantity of raw mango based on the tanginess of the mango and your preference. If you want you can add a small piece of jaggery too.
- Don’t skip the big pinch of hing while sauteing masala. This is what enhances the taste.
- Don’t grind the chutney too smooth and also don’t add too much water while grinding.
- In the tempering of raw mango chutney, instead of hing .. you can add 3-4 garlic flakes if you like.
- I use coconut oil in the tempering and it tastes awesome. You can use any oil that you prefer.
So are you ready to jot down this tasty Raw Mango Chutney .. here you go .
RAW MANGO CHUTNEY RECIPE / MAVINAKAYI CHUTNEY RECIPE
- 1 big cup Raw Mango / Mavinakayi
- 1/4 cup coconut
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- 3 tsp Urad Dal / split black gram
- 1.5 tsp Channa Dal / bengal gram
- 1/4 tsp Methi seeds / Fenugreek seeds
- 6-7 nos Red Chillies, based on your preferance
- big pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 3-4 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- a pinch Hing
- few Curry Leaves
- Peel and dice roughly raw mango.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal, Methi seeds,hing & red chillies. On low medium flame, fry till dal turns golden. Turn off the heat & let it cool completely.
- Transfer the fried masala, coconut, chopped raw mangoes and salt to a mixer/blender. Add little water.
- Don't grind super smooth.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard,hing and curry leaves. Add ground chutney to the tempering and mix. Taste test. If required add some more salt/chilli powder if you want. Saute for 3-4 mins.
- Spicy and tangy Raw Mango Chutney is ready to relish. Enjoy with hot rice / idli / dosa / chapati etc . Stays good for 3-4 days in the fridge .