How can i miss a recipe from raw mango when the market is all flooded with it. So today i come up with a raw mango recipe -“Raw Mango Rice/Mavinakayi Chitranna/ Mangai Sadam“.Though i had so many items from raw mango in my list to cook n click , was happy too that i cleared few of them , but then…some how couldn’t take the final presentation picture. By the time i finish the dish , i can see 4 pairs of eyes staring at me eagerly waiting for food . I feel so bad to keep them waiting any further for photo shoot . I know the scenario is same at most of the food bloggers home…
Today’s dish, Raw Mango rice is very tasty ,quick and easy to make and a perfect lunch box option . Its usually made in festivals as it has no onion and garlic. Apt dish to empty off left over rice.In Karnataka,raw mango rice is usually prepared in 2 ways .Version – 1, is prepared almost same as Lemon rice. But here tanginess comes from raw mangoes instead of lemon juice. Yumm.. the tangy mango flavour is indeed a treat to your taste buds .. will make anybody drool and crave for it.Rush pick a raw mango and try Raw mango rice immediately to know what i mean.More the tangier more the tastier..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
RAW MANGO RICE
- 3 cups Cooked Rice, (sona masoori / ponni /Any rice used for lunch)
- 1 medium sized Raw mango
- 1/4 cup coconut, Grated
- 4 - 6 Green Chilli, chopped
- little Coriander leaves, , chopped
- 2 tbsps Cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal Bengal Gram
- a handful Ground nuts
- few Cashew, pieces - ( optional )
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli, - broken to pieces
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2.5 ie 1 glass rice 2.5 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.Allow the rice to cool completely.
- Wash the raw mango , deskin ( optional ) & grate it.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan / kadai. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds,urad dal, channa dal and ground nuts. When mustard seeds splutter nicely, add green chillies, red chilly and curry leaves. Saute.Add turmeric and salt.
- Add grated raw mango & sauté it for few secs only (mango gets cooked really fast, keep this as less as possible).
- Add coconut and coriander ,switch off. Mix everything nicely.Transfer it to small bowl .** refer notes
- Add cooked cooled rice to the pan.Add little quantity of prepared raw mango masala initially.Mix them thoroughly & gently. Ensure no rice lumps are formed.Taste test. If you feel its little bland add the remaining masala and mix .
- Tangy Raw mango rice is ready to serve. Serve at room temperature as such or with papad / raitha.
- **Few raw mangoes will be too tangy. So its better to add masala to rice in small portions , mix and taste ; rather than adding whole quantity at once. If you feel its bland , you can always fix it out easily by mixing the remaining masala .
- Above masala of raw mango ( after tempering and frying ; without coconut ) stays fresh without fridge upto a week . You can do more quantity and use as and when required .This helps your hubby too , in case he has to manage home in your absence .
- Once the rice is cooked , transfer it to wide plate ,spread gently and allow it to cool. This way the rice grains get separated and eases uniform mixing.Rice has to be cooled nicely mixing with the tempering. Else lumps will be formed and dish becomes sticky . DONT FORGET IT ..
- Instead of grating , you can also grind raw mango and green chilli to paste and later add it to the tempering.