Today’s dish, Raw Mango Sevai is very tasty ,quick and easy to make ..a perfect option to serve any time of the day.A simple dish with mild flavors and an acquired tang from raw mango.Can be done in jiffy with just a few ingredients.Kid friendly and crowd pleaser too
Traditionally these sevais are made by making rice noodles at home from scratch and later spiced up.But it calls for lot of procedure and time.But nothing can beat its taste.I have already shared a method of making the traditional way of making ottu shavige … . But for now, keeping in mind today’s fast paced world , i’ll use instant rice noodles that is easily available in market .Though it doesn’t match exactly the authentic taste but tastes awesome in its own way.Rice vermicelli upma can be flavored many a ways like lemon sevai , coconut sevai,tamarind sevai,tomato sevai etc and and i love each of them .For today the chosen one is tangy Mango flavored rice sevai Here it goes…
RAW MANGO SEVAI RECIPE / MAVINAKAYI SHAVIGE CHITRANNA
- 250 gm Rice Noodles instant
- 1 medium size Raw mango
- 2 - 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 2 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1 tsp Split Bengal gram/ Chana dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- a handful Peanut
- few pcs Cashew ( optional )
- 1-2 nos Red Chillies broken to pieces
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Haldi turmeric
- 4-6 nos Green Chillies ( depending on the spice level ) ; - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- few springs Coriander leaves ;finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
To Cook Noodles :
- Boil excess water in a broad pan.Add little salt .When water starts boiling , add noodles and cook as per the package instructions.Test if sevai is cooked by pressing between ur fingers.If it breaks easily , its cooked. If it squishes its overcooked.
- Drain the hot water and run noodles under cold water.Smear a tsp of oil , so that noodles do not stick. Spread it and allow to cool .
Raw Mango Chitranna Masala
- Wash the raw mango , deskin ( optional ) & dice it.
- in a mixer roughly grind ... raw mango , chillies , salt and coconut . No need to add water .. if you are finding it difficult to grind , add few tsps only . Don't make it a paste .
- Meanwhile,in a big pan / kadai take oil. Add mustard,urad dal ,chana dal and peanuts. When the mustard splutters add cashew pcs/ ground nut ,cumin and red chilli. Fry till they turn golden color. Add green chilli,curry leaves and turmeric. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add ground raw mango paste & sauté it for 3-4 mins (mango gets cooked really fast, keep this as less as possible).
- Add coriander ,switch off. Mix everything nicely. Raw mango Masala is ready . You can keep it in fridge and use it for few days and mix it with rice or sevai whenever required to make mavinakayi chitranna .
Time to make Raw Mango Sevai
- To the masala , add cooked rice noodles. Add little quantity of prepared raw mango masala initially.Mix them thoroughly & gently. Ensure no lumps are formed.Taste test. If you feel its little bland add the remaining masala and mix .Mix them thoroughly.Taste test. Add salt if required .
- Tangy Raw mango sevai is ready to serve. Enjoy at room temperature .
- Cooking instant rice noodles is very easy. But take care not to overcook .Else they become mushy. So do follow the instructions given on the packet carefully to get the perfect non sticky noodles .
- I normally use dragon brand rice sevai as it doesn't require very careful observation. By mistake in case if you overcook for a minute or two also,it doesnt get that mushy..Other brands available in the market are Concorde,MTR,Anil ,TTK,double horse etc.
- Few raw mangoes will be too tangy. So its better to add masala to vermicelli in small portions , mix and taste ; rather than adding whole quantity at once. If you feel its bland , you can always fix it out easily by mixing the remaining masala .
- Above masala of raw mango ( after tempering and frying ; without coconut ) stays fresh without fridge upto a week . You can do more quantity and use as and when required .This helps your hubby too , in case he has to manage home in your absence .
- Once the sevai is cooked , transfer it to wide plate ,spread gently and allow it to cool. This way the sevai get separated and eases uniform mixing. sevai has to be cooled nicely mixing with the tempering. Else lumps will be formed and dish becomes sticky . DONT FORGET IT .
- Instead of dicing n grinding , you can also add grated raw mango and chopped green chilli and add it to the tempering.