RICE BATH RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO KARNATAKA STYLE RICE BATH | KARNATAKA STYLE VEGETABLE RICE BATH | HOW TO DO KARNATAKA STYLE VEGETABLE PULAV | KARNATAKA STYLE VEG PULAO | VEG PALAV KARNATAKA STYLE
What can I say about today’s classic dish? Rice Bath actually needs no intro to any Kannadiga. In Karnataka, the Vegetable Pulao popularly known as rice bath and is one of the most popular dishes be it restaurants or home. Still, no one gets bored of this ” palav ” …that’s how flavorful, tasty and crowd-pleaser it is.Its apt for quick meal / party / lunch box / any occasion . Pair it up with some raita .. a bowl of hot flavorful pulao is all gone ….
Karnataka style veg pulao is actually very different from the regular pulav. In this, a green masala paste made with herbs and spices is ground and sauteed along with rice and veggies. This base masala is little similar to veg Saagu masala which I have shared earlier. When you see the recipe, at first, you might get afraid seeing the long list of ingredients to be ground ..but fear not .. just take out your masala box and start adding one after the other. It’s actually that easy.
Also, This pulav is made using sona masoori rice and not with basmati rice, unlike the usual pulao. Here rice is not cooked too grainy fluffy like biryani at the same time it’s not mushy either.
Few simple points to note while this Karnataka Style Pualo are as follows :
- Soak rice for about 20-30 mins. This helps in using less water while making pulao and the end result will be nice and fluffy.
- Rice to water ratio i follow is 1: 2 / 1: 2.5. this includes even the water quantity used for grinding masala.
- The usual veggies that i use are beans, carrot, peas and a small potato. If I have knol khol, add that too. Usually, hotels and marriage functions cooks, add knol khol. Whatever is handy, you can use.
- One an add few soaked soya chunks along with veggies for extra taste.
- One can even add ghee roasted bread chunks to the pulao before serving. Just fry a couple of pieces of chopped bread in ghee and mix it before serving the palav. This is my favourite.
- The pulao may look slightly mushy when hot. But it becomes fluffy and separate as it cools down.
- For the authentic taste, try to add all the garam masala ingredients mentioned under masala. In case you don’t have, manage with cinnamon, cloves and elaichi. Later add some garam masala powder.
Though Rice bath is prepared in every household and hotels in Karnataka, each has a secret recipe of their own. Here is my mom’s version of Karnataka styleVeg Saagu recipe… do try and share your feedback !!