Sharing a dessert here after a long time ..isn’t it ? Since many festivals are lined up i thought of sharing today one simple and most common Indian dessert recipe with you all – ” Rice Kheer Recipe ” . Its known as Akki halu payasa in Karnataka and Pal payasam in Tamilnadu .Its basically aromatic basmati rice simmered and reduced in full fat milk . Addition of cardamom and saffron makes this rice kheer so flavorful . This kheer is very easy to make and tastes so creamy and yummy .
The best part of rice kheer is ingredients required to make this dessert is easily available in pantry and one can hardly make errors.There are many ways one can make rice kheer . Either simmering raw rice in milk and cooking it slowly on milk or the other method is to cook rice and later boil in milk . I prefer cooking raw rice in milk .. though it is bit time consuming .. taste wise its just awesome . Do try this tasty rice kheer this festive season and enjoy !!! So are you readay to see rice kheer recipe with step by step photos.. here you go…
RICE KHEER RECIPE / AKKI HALU PAYASA RECIPE / PAL PAYASAM
- 1/4 cup Basmati rice
- 1 litre Thick milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 pinch Kesar / Saffron
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 5-6 Cashews, chopped
- 5-6 Pista, chopped
- 8-10 Raisins
- 1 Bay leaf, ( optional)
- 2-3 Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes . Drain and keep aside.
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk and keep aside .
- In kadai / frying pan take a tsp of ghee . Fry cashew,badam n raisins in the ghee till golden brown and keep it aside. If you want you can add raw finely chopped nuts too .
- Take milk on a heavy bottom pan . Add bay leaf , cardamom to the milk . Boil the milk on a medium flame. Once it comes to boiling point, reduce it to low flame.
- Add drained raw rice and stir the milk. On low flame , boil the milk stirring in between ...till the rice is cooked well .This may take 15 - 20 mins .
- Once the rice is cooked and milk has reduced to 3/4th of its volume, add sugar, saffron strands and stir well.
- Finally , when the sugar has dissolved and milk has thickened and kheer is creamy,add nuts and cardamom powder . Mix well and switch off .
- Rice kheer is ready to relish . Enjoy it hot / warm / chilled .
- NEVER ADD SUGAR BEFORE RICE COOKS. If you do so, it will spoil the whole kheer.
- Rice kheer thickens once its cooled. So if you are serving the kheer after it cools, its better that you keep it little liquid initially .
- If your kheer has become too thick you can adjust it by adding extra milk.
- For more creamy version , you can add few tbsp condensed milk .
- If you want you can use MTR badam powder for extra taste and flavor . Sprinkle it along with elaichi powder.Or you can add few drops of rose water for a unique flavor .