Ridge gourd dal recipe with step by step photos | Heerekayi Tovve Recipe | Ridge Gourd Tovve | Turai Moong Dal
Ridge Gourd Dal / Heerekayi Tovve / Turai Dal is an easy, tasty and quick dish made with Ridge gourd, Moong dal, Tomato and few basic spices. A hot bowl of Dal , Rice ,little ghee on top and some papad on side.. is what defines comfort food any day… isn’t it ??
Ridge Gourd is a vegetable which either many hate / is just OK OK type . Knowing that ridge gourd is very high in water and nutrient content and barely has any fats and cholesterol , i keep bringing them home often .Thank fully my kids are not that fussy when it comes to veggies .
I have already shared few ridge gourd recipes here and today its time for a humble dish using the veggie . Ridge Gourd dal is known as Heerekayi Tovve in Kannada, Beerakaya Pappu in Andra , Turai Dal in Hindi . Do try and enjoy !! The peel can be used for Ridge gourd Peel Chutney
CHECK OUT HEEREKAYI TOVVE VIDEO HERE :
Few points to note while making Ridge gourd Dal :
- Always choose tender , young , fresh ridge gourd which has less seeds . Large mature gourds usually have a lot of seeds and are fibrous
- I use moong dal to make this dish . However , if you want can use tuvar dal.
- For souring , you can use either tamarind or lemon.
- I usually don’t add garlic to this dal . Keep it simple with ginger and hing as main flavors . However , if you want can add few garlic pieces for tempering .
- If you want , you can pressure cook dal , tomato , green chilli and ridge gourd pieces together in a cooker and later mix it with prepared tempering. In that case, chop ridge gourd little bigger so that they don’t get mushy.
- Instead of pressure cooker , you can use Instant Pot .
Ridge Gourd dal / Heerekayi Tovve
- 1 big Ridge Gourd / Heereakayi
- 1 cup Moong Dal / Split Green gram
- 1 medium size Onion, chopped
- 1 No Tomato, chopped
- 4-5 nos Green Chilli, chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- few Curry leaves
- small lemon size Tamarind , soaked in water
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Jeera / cumin seeds
- 1-2 no Red Chilli, broken
- pinch Hing / asafoetida
- 2-4 Garlic flakes, optional
- Wash Ridge Gourd. Using a peeler, slightly peel only the sharp ridge portion of the veggie. No need to peel entire skin.
- Dice ridge gourd into small pieces. Keep them aside.
- Wash moong dal nicely 1- 2 times , add haldi to it and pressure cook with tomato and Green chillies.
- On medium flame cook 2 whistles or cook till soft.Usually , moong dal doesn't take long to cook .
- Once pressure releases , mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- In a pan add oil. Add chopped Onion, grated ginger and few curry leaves .If using add garlic , add them too. Saute till onions are translucent .
- Add chopped Ridge Gourd and salt. Saute 1-2 mins.
- Add water, cover and cook 5-6 mins. Let it get soft.
- Once ridge gourd is cooked well , add mashed dal, tamarind water ( or lemon ) . Combine nicely.
- Add water to adjust the consistency . Simmer and boil dal for 3-4 mins.
- Mean while , prepare tempering. To a small pan heat ghee. Splutter mustard and jeera .Add broken red chilli pieces , hing and curry leaves. Saute 1-2 mins.Add the tempering to dal.
- Ridgegourd Dal is ready to relish !! Enjoy with hot rice or chapathi