What do you do with peels of vegetables ? If the answer is throw.. Hey wait !! let me tell you … a lip smacking chutney can be made using these peels.The veggie peel that i would be using today is ” Ridge gourd “. This ” Ridge Gourd peel / Thurai ke chilke / Heerekayi sippe chutney ” is filled with full of fiber and tastes best with plain steamed rice,Idli,dosa, paniyaram etc.
Ridge Gourd has many health benefits which includes purification of blood,aids in weight loss,reduces sugar level and much more .We all know that its the peel which has the maximum nutrients. But we still throw away the peels. Our ancestors were very clever. If we peep into traditional grandmas kitchen ,we are sure to find numerous ways in which they incorporated the peels, seeds and kernels in regular diet. One such recipe comes here making use of the peel of ridge gourd .They are easy,healthy and tasty. So next time you are about to throw the peel..stop and do try them .. i am sure you will love it. Refer the notes section for other veggie peels that you could use…
RIDGEGOURD PEEL CHUTNEY
- 1 1/2 cup Peels of ridge gourd
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 1/2 tbsp Urad Dal black gram
- 1/2 tbsp Chana Dal Bengal Gram
- 4 - 6 Dry Red chillies, based on your spiciness
- a pinch Hing
- few Curry Leaves, ( Optional ,but recommended)
- grape size Tamarind
- 1 tsp Coconut oil / cooking oil
- to taste Salt
- 1 - 2 tsps Coconut oil / cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash the ridge gourd, slightly peel them retaining the remaining veggie to use in some other dishes.
- Cook the peel until soft with little water , haldi and green chilli. It will get cooked easily.Once cooked allow it to cool .Don't throw away water.
- Meanwhile take a kadai / frying pan. Add urad dal, chana dal, red chillies ,curry leaves and hing. Fry them in oil till urad dal n chana dal turns golden brown in color.
- Add grated coconut to it and roast for a min.Switch off and allow to cool.
- Transfer roasted masala to a blender / mixer. Add salt , tamarind , jaggery (optional) and cooked ridgegourd peels. Grind adding little water. Don't make the chutney too smooth, a bit of coarseness gives it nice texture.
- Prepare a tempering by heating 1 tsp oil and adding mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Garnish chutney with tempering. Now ridge gourd peel chutney is ready to serve. Enjoy it with plain hot steamed rice drizzle with coconut oil/ghee or serve with idli ,dosa,etc.
- Variation :Instead of ridge gourd peel, you can use bottle gourd peel / snake gourd peel / Chayote squash peel / sambar cucumber peel etc.
- Don't make the chutney too smooth.