Looking for some low cal snacks to munch between your meals ,to mute those hunger pangs ? Today i have for you all a healthy, guilt free and easy snack made from puffed lotus seeds.Spicy , crunchy and super addictive – that’s ” Roasted Phool Makhana /Spicy Roasted Puffed lotus seeds ( foxnuts)“. Made from just a teaspoon of oil within 10 mins , they are way way better than popcorn – both taste wise as well nutrient wise.
Few years back my dad was posted to Gwalior.During our regular grocery shopping we spotted something similar to popcorn that was white and round with some dark spots. On enquiring, the shopkeeper told that its called as Phool makhana or foxnuts.Now that was very new ingredient to us .Out of curiosity my mom picked a bag of it.Not knowing what to do the bag lied unused for next few months.Then came Navaratri and we were invited for a pooja in a neighborhood home. There it was the first time we tasted phool makhana kheer. They tasted awesome.We learnt that phool makhana was made commonly during fasting days in North India and many recipes can be made with it. They are also rich in minerals ,calcim and anti oxidants.Since then foxnuts make frequent visit in my pantry and i make quiet a few dishes from it.Today i’ll share my family favorite recipe from puffed lotus seeds. Here we go…
- 2 Cup phool mahkana / lotus seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder ( as required )
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala
- a Pinch Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Take a big kadai dry roast foxnuts in a low flame for about 8-10 minutes till they are crispy.Keep aside.
- In the same kadai/ pan , heat oil. Add chilli powder,chat masala, salt and turmeric.
- Stir in the foxnuts and toss to combine evenly. Mix in between for 1-2 mins.Switch off.
- Once cooled , store roasted foxnuts in a air tight container. Serve with hot tea or at any time.
- You can replace chaat masala with garam masala / amchur powder / spices you prefer.
- you can also do this in oven.