What can i say about todays classic dish ? Saagu actually needs no intro to any kannadiga.Mixed Vegetable Saagu is one of the most popular side dishes in almost all restaurants in Karnataka that is usually served with chapathi , poori, set dosa, rava idly,rava dosa,the list is endless.You will surely see a little cup of this along with some chutney . Its so delicious and crowd pleaser.
Saagu is basically a coconut based veg curry with a beautiful blend of flavors and spices.It has a nice creamy texture acquired from coconut and poppy seeds.Pudina gives a tempting greenish tint and wonderful aroma to the curry.There is no hard and fast rules for the vegetables to be used, just add whatever you have handy.Best healthy dish to clear of those few leftover veggies lying in the fridge.
Though saagu is prepared in every household and hotels in Karnataka ,each has a secret recipe of their own. Here is my mom’s version of Mixed Veg Saagu recipe…
Check Out the Video recipe here :
MIXED VEG SAAGU
- Finely chopped mixed vegetables like Beans ,Carrot ,Potato, Peas ,cauliflower, chayote squash etc, (Quantity of your choice ;I normally add more vegetables)
- 2 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 no Lemon
- Coriander leaves, - to garnish ; chopped
For The Masala ( To grind )
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp Roasted chana dal /Chana daliya
- 2 tsp Soaked Poppy seeds / Khus khus
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1" 3 sticks Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 3 - 4 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 no Star anise /Chakri phool
- 2 no cardamom elaichi
- little Mace / Javitre / Japtre,
- 2 - 3 no Dried kapok buds / Shalmali / marathi moggu
- Ginger, a small piece
- 3 - 4 pods Garlic
- 2 - 3 onion, slice
- 4 - 6 Green Chillies
- a handful Pudina / Mint / Mint + Coriander leaves
For Tempering :
- 2 - 4 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1 pcs Red Chillies, broken
- Cook the veggies with some salt and water till done. Ensure that they are cooked just right - neither crunchy nor too mushy.
- For the masala, grind all the ingredients mentioned under masala to a smooth paste adding some water.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan.Temper with mustard seeds and urad dal .When they splutter add broken red chillies,curry leaves and haldi.Add finely chopped onion .Fry till translucent.Add chopped tomatoes. Fry till mushy.
- Add cooked veggies and masala paste.Add salt and water.Mix well and allow it to boil well .
- When it boils,it thickens a bit. If requied add some more water to get the desired consistency. Switch off. Add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze lemon juice.
- Serve hot hot saagu with poori,chapathi,dosa,rava idly or even rice.
- In case you don't have all the garam masala ingredients mentioned under masala , you can manage with cinnamon,cloves and elaichi. Later add some garam masala powder.
- If you want more rich ,you can add some cashew while grinding