Sabsige Soppu Kootu Recipe | How to do Sabsige Soppu Kootu | Dill leaves kootu recipe with step by step photo | Dill leaves kootu recipe | Dill leaves kootu recipe
Being from Karnataka , i want ” Cook with Smile ” to be one stop destination for most of the Karnataka cuisine . So today i’ll share recipe of one more authentic Karnataka Dish ” Sabsige Soppu Kootu ” ie Karnataka Style Dill Leaves Curry recipe . Kootu is basically coconut and lentil based curry with a peppery flavor .
Though its made throughout South India , recipe in each region is different . This dish is prepared in and around Bengaluru and Mysuru region. Kootu is a delicious alternate to sambar is packed with nutrients and is easy to make.Tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some ghee . There are many types of different kootu i have shared before like Snake Gourd kootu , Pumpkin Kootu , Cabbage Kootu , Mixed vegetable kootu etc and today it’s another variety Sabsige Soppu Kootu .
In karnataka , dill leaves stir fry (without tuvar dal ) is one of the most common dish served to a new mom as its known to aid lactation .When i too was in that phase, almost daily i was served this sabzi along with pepper rasam and other dishes and not even 1 day i got bored eating it .. just enjoyed every bite if it … the aroma when fresh dill leaves are getting cooked itself is so tempting…
Similarly .. in this dish .. The combination of dill leaves, dal tastes and smells just wonderful. Without much talks , let’s get started with this easy recipe….
Few points to note while making Sabsige soppu kootu :
- Instead of sabsige soppu ( Dill Leaves ) .. you can use mixed veggie or which ever is available
- Dont skip pepper . It enhances taste .
- Typically tamarind is not added to this curry . however if you want can add little
SABSIGE SOPPU KOOTU / DILL LEAVES KOOTU RECIPE / DILL LEAVES CURRY
- 1 big bunch Dill leaves/ sabsige Soppu
- 3/4 cup Split Pigeon peas/ Tuvar dal
- 1/4 cup Peanut, can plus or minus this quantity
- a big pinch Turmeric
- small amla size Jaggery
- Salt to taste
To roast and grind
- 1.5 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Bengal Gram / Chana Dal
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ methi
- 1/2 tsp Poppy seeds / khus khus
- 1/2 tsp Rice
- 1 tsp Black peppercorn
- 5-6 nos Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut, Grated
- 1 tbsp Oil/ Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 no Red Chilli, broken to pieces
- few Curry Leaves
- Clean and Wash Toordal and groundnut . Add a big pinch of haldi and pressure cook them together for 3-4 whistles
- Meanwhile , clean and chop dill leaves . Chop dill leaves finely .
- Transfer the chopped dill leaves to a vessel . Add some water and cook till soft .
- Add pressure cooked dal and peanut to the cooked dill leaves .
- Take a small kadai or pan . Add a tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients under ‘to grind’ category except coconut and poppy seeds . When other ingredients are crisp .. add poppy seeds .. mix and switch off . Do not fry coconut. Grind the fried masala with coconut and little water to make smooth paste.
- Transfer the ground masala paste to the vessel having cooked dal and dill leaves. Add water to get desired consistency.Add salt, jaggery and mix .
- Bring kootu to boil . Taste test . Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the kootu and stir well.
- That's it simple Sabsige Soppu kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with few drops of ghee .