Sabsige Soppu Kootu Recipe | How to do Sabsige Soppu Kootu | Dill leaves kootu recipe with step by step photo | Dill leaves kootu recipe | Dill leaves kootu recipe
Being from Karnataka , i want ” Cook with Smile ” to be one stop destination for most of the Karnataka cuisine . So today i’ll share recipe of one more authentic Karnataka Dish ” Sabsige Soppu Kootu ” ie Karnataka Style Dill Leaves Curry recipe . Kootu is basically coconut and lentil based curry with a peppery flavor .Though its made throughout South India , recipe in each region is different . This Sabsige soppu kootu is prepared in and around Bengaluru and Mysuru region. Kootu is a delicious alternate to sambar is packed with nutrients and is easy to make.Tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some ghee . There are many types of different kootu i have shared before like Snake Gourd kootu , Pumpkin Kootu , Cabbage Kootu , Mixed vegetable kootu etc and today it’s another variety Sabsige Soppu Kootu .
In karnataka , dill leaves stir fry (without tuvar dal ) is one of the most common dish served to a new mom as its known to aid lactation .When i too was in that phase, almost daily i was served this sabzi along with pepper rasam and other dishes and not even 1 day i got bored eating it .. just enjoyed every bite if it … the aroma when fresh dill leaves are getting cooked itself is so tempting… Hmm…. I love dill leaves ambode , dill leaves rotti , dill leaves idli etc Addition of dill leaves makes each dish very healthy , enhances the flavour and taste . Similarly .. in this sabsige kootu .. The combination of dill leaves, dal tastes and smells just wonderful. Without much talks , let’s get started with this easy recipe….
SABSIGE SOPPU KOOTU / DILL LEAVES KOOTU RECIPE / DILL LEAVES CURRY
- 1 big bunch Dill leaves( sabsige Soppu )
- 3/4 cup Split Pigeon peas Tuvar dal
- 1/4 cup Peanut ( can plus or minus this quantity )
- a big pinch Turmeric
- small amla size Jaggery
- Salt to taste
To roast and grind
- 1.5 tbsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Bengal Gram / Chana Dal
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1/2 tsp Poppy seeds / khus khus
- 1/2 tsp Rice
- 1 tsp Black peppercorn
- 5-6 nos Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut Grated
- 1 tbsp Oil/ Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 no Red Chilli broken to pieces
- few Curry Leaves
- Clean and Wash Toordal and groundnut . Add a big pinch of haldi and pressure cook them together for 3-4 whistles
- Meanwhile , clean and chop dill leaves . Chop dill leaves finely .
- Transfer the chopped dill leaves to a vessel . Add some water and cook till soft .
- Add pressure cooked dal and peanut to the cooked dill leaves .
- Take a small kadai or pan . Add a tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients under ‘to grind’ category except coconut and poppy seeds . When other ingredients are crisp .. add poppy seeds .. mix and switch off . Do not fry coconut. Grind the fried masala with coconut and little water to make smooth paste.
- Transfer the ground masala paste to the vessel having cooked dal and dill leaves. Add water to get desired consistency.Add salt, jaggery and mix .
- Bring kootu to boil . Taste test . Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the kootu and stir well.
- That's it simple Sabsige Soppu kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with few drops of ghee .
- Instead of sabsige soppu ( Dill Leaves ) .. you can use mixed veggie or which ever is available
- Dont skip pepper . It enhances taste .
- Typically tamarind is not added to this curry . however if you want can add little