Today I have a healthy and tasty chutney for you all ” Sesame seeds Chutney “. Its known as Ellu chutney in Kannada & Ellu thuvaiyal in Tamil .This sesame seeds chutney is quick , easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular plain coconut / tomato chutneys. Most of us don’t include healthy sesame in our diet.. so sesame seeds chutney is a good way to sneak in .
Black and white sesame seeds are two different varieties of sesame seed and have slightly different flavours. While the black variety is nuttier with a slightly bitter after note, white ones are milder. These seeds are a very good source of copper, magnesium and calcium. Also, they are a heat-generating food and hence good to be part of the cold season diet . Most of us usually ignore the black sesame seeds and opt for the white ones may be for the reason that the white ones look and taste better than the black seeds. But the black sesame seeds are more nutritious than the white ones. This til chutney recipe uses black ones. In til laddu i had shared before also I had used black sesame. Everyone in my family likes this ellu chutney .. my daughter especially loves it as a side dish with Pundi gatti and hubby likes it to mix chutney with rice topped with little oil. The roasted sesame seeds give such a unique taste and flavour that this chutney tastes amazing with anything and everything . Do try and you will agree with me .. Here you go …
SESAME SEEDS CHUTNEY / ELLU CHUTNEY RECIPE / ELLU THUVAIYAL
- 1/4 Cup Black sesame seeds / til
- 1 tbsp Split urad dal
- 4-6 nos Dry Red chillies, based on your pref
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut, grated
- few Curry Leaves
- small amla size Tamarind soaked in water
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves , a few
- pinch of Asafoetida/ hing
- Wash the sesame seeds nicely and slowly sieve it.
- Later in a Kadai, dry roast the sesame seeds till it splutters. Make sure to keep the flame on medium else sesame seeds might burn and chutney will turn bitter.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, curry leaves and red chillies. Fry on medium heat, till dal turns golden. Take out on a plate to cool.
- Transfer the fried masala, roated sesame seeds ,coconut ,tamarind and salt to a mixer / blender. Grind to a smooth paste...but don't make super smooth. Taste test .
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard. After it splutters add curry leaves and hing. Now pour this tempering on ground chutney.
- Serve Sesame seeds chutney with hot rice / idli / dosa / pundi gatti etc . Stays good for 3-4 days in fridge .