Its been many days since i shared some dosa recipe , right ? So today i have for you all one special variety of dosa from Karnataka which i am sure is a favorite for most . Soft , spongy and porous these ” Set Dosas ” are one of the hot selling dish in restuarants in Bangalore. Served with sagu / kurma along with coconut chutney .. they taste just awesome and one of my all time favorites.
Usually in hotels , 3-4 set dosas are stacked and served , hence the name ” Set Dosa ” .Unlike regular dosas , set dosas are small in size , soft and fluffy in texture . Few people call them sponge dosa too as they are very soft and remain so even after few hours .So it makes a good option for lunch box too.
Check Out the Video recipe here :
Few points to note while making Set Dosa Recipe :
- Addition of sabudana is optional . But recommended . It makes dosa more fluffy .
- Don’t forget to grind the batter thick only . i have observed usually this dosa batter gets thinner and thinner as the batter ferments . So better to grind thick and later add water i required .
- In spite of taking care , if the dosa batter has turned thin next morning after fermenting , add little rice flour to fix it.
- I usually don’t add cooking soda to any of my dosa s except set dosa. It comes out best after adding soda. However if you want to omit , you can , but i wouldn’t suggest .
- Better the fermentation , fluffier the dosa.
- Remember when you pour set dosa batter on the tawa , don’t spread in concentric circles like regular dosa. Just pour a laddle of batter and leave like thick pancake. This will make them porous.
- While cooking these set dosas you can cook one side or both ways .It is up to you
Making this restaurant style set dosa at home is so easy . Do try and be prepared to receive loads of accolades and Yes don’t forget to share your feedback with me later !! Here you go…
- 2 cup Dosa rice / Normal rice
- 1/2 cup Beaten rice /poha /aval
- 1/4 cup Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds /methi
- 1 tbsp Sago /`sabudana pearls
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / fresh curd
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda /cooking soda
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- to taste Salt
- Wash urad dal and rice . In a bowl take rice,urad daal,methi and sabudana and soak in enough water for around 5-6 hours.
- In another bowl soak poha with fresh curd for about 1-2 hours .
- Drain water from the soaked daal rice mixture . Transfer them to a mixer or grinder along with poha soaked in curd . Grind all to make a smooth batter adding little water .Dont add much water while grinding.
- Add salt to the batter , mix and allow to ferment overnight or 4-6 hours. The batter has to be thick at this stage. As it ferments , it will get thinner .
- In the morning / after 4-6 hours , you will observe that the batter has fermented nicely . Add soda and sugar to the batter and mix gently . Check the consistency of the batter . It should be thick milkshake consistency . If required add little water . Our set dosa batter is ready .
- Lets proceed to make set dosas. Heat a tawa. Grease with little oil.Pour a laddle full of batter. No need to spread. It has to be like thick small pancakes .
- Drizzle few drops of oil around it.Cover and cook on medium flame for abt 1-2 mins.Once its done, the dosas comes out easily from the tawa .If you want you can flip and cook other side too for about 30 sec or serve as such.
- Super soft ,porous and spongy Set Dosa is ready. Serve hot with chutney / veg saagu / veg kurma / potato saagu / sambar / chutney powder .