SHUNTI TAMBLI RECIPE | SHUNTI TAMBULI RECIPE | HOW TO DO SHUNTI TAMBLI | TAMBULI RECIPES | THAMBLI RECIPES
” Shunti Tambli / Ginger Thambuli ” one healthy, tasty and simple Malnad dish which is relished with rice.
What is Tambli ??
Let me introduce you all to the humble dish ” Tambli “. Its a coastal Karnataka speciality dish. Tamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead, they are lite, mild, medicinal and soothing. It’s a perfect summer food as it helps in keeping your body cool and aids digestion. It is served cold with hot rice and eaten right at the beginning in a typical Dakshin Kannada meal. Few drink them as coolants too. Basically, Tambli is a thin yoghurt based curry made by grinding a herb/vegetable/greens/fruits/spices along with coconut and chillies and mixed with buttermilk and finally topped with a simple tempering. Few of them are not even cooked. They taste different depending on what it’s made out of. These are some of the easiest rice accompaniment that can be prepared in a jiffy.
We make various kinds of tambli in our home, this is something I grew up eating.. recipes passed from 1 generation to the other. I have never found tamblis in any of the restaurants. Publishing simple, easy,home-cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.
Why is Shunti Tambli healthy ??
Hero of the day for today’s tambli is Shunti / Ginger. As per Ayurveda, Ginger has got a lot of health benefits like: it aids digestion thus relieves indigestion; it is an effective cure for congestion, sore throat, cold and cough; it is used in the treatment of asthma and other respiratory problems; treats dizziness, nausea, vomiting,.. etc. I made a bowl full of these ginger tambli yesterday. Passing you all the recipe … will be ready in 10 mins !!
Check Out the Video recipe here :
For grinding :
- 1.5 inch Ginger / shunti, ( roughly chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1 - 2 Green Chilli
- 1 small cup grated coconut
- 1 cup Buttermilk /sour curd
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 broken Red Chilli / Curd Chilli, (optional )
- few Curry Leaves
- In a frying pan, add 1/2 teaspoon of ghee, ginger, cumin seeds, green chilly and fry them all till the cumin seeds changes in colour and ginger become little crisp.
- Grind the fried ingredients along with salt, coconut and little water. The paste should be super smooth.
- Transfer the ground paste into a serving bowl. Add the buttermilk and mix properly. The consistency of tambli should be thinner than chutney, something like rasam consistency. If you want you can add little water along with curd /buttermilk.
- Next temper the tambli. In a small kadai, add ghee. When ghee is hot, add mustard seeds and jeera seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add red chilli / curd chilli and curry leaves.
- Add this tempering to the thambli mixture.
- Ginger thambli is ready to serve. Enjoy the soothing ginger tambli with rice / drink as such like a coolant ...
- Using fresh coconut and ginger is preferred .
- You can also use oil instead of ghee .However ,It is suggested to use ghee because that adds a special aroma characteristic to this dish, so try using it.
- The curd / buttermilk you use should be little sour.
- Don't add much chilly as ginger would have hotness in it. Also, thamblis are basically mild in nature.
- You can skip roasting Ginger in step 1.Else you can directly grind raw ginger along with roasted jeera,g. chilli n coconut. That way you'll have a very strong flavoured ginger thambli. Few prefer that. However, I don't like raw ginger flavour. You can try both n see which way you like.
- Always serve the thamblis fresh. It won't taste that great if you refrigerate and use the next day. They just taste OK.