How to do South Indian style Snake Gourd Stir Fry | Padvalakai Palya recipe | Padavalakai Palya recipe with step by step pics | How to Pudalangai Poriyal | Potlakaya Fry
Snake Gourd stir fry is known as Padavalakai Palya in Kannada, Pudalangai Poriyal in Tamil and Potlakaya fry in telugu . This dish is actually very quick to make and quite easy to make. It’s light on tummy too as the spice level is very minimum and oil usage is also less. . that’s the reason this is one of the common dishes in any South Indian house.
Snake gourd is high in water content and has a cooling effect on body. It is also a low-calorie veggie and hence good for weight management. Not many like snake gourd .. infact it’s tagged as one boring veggie. But still we should include it in our diet as it’s very healthy.
There are different versions of making padavalaki palya, this is the simplest . Do try and enjoy a side dish with rice / chapathi . Can be made for festivals too as it’s a no onion – no garlic recipe.
PADAVALAKAI PALYA / SNAKE GOURD STIR FRY RECIPE / PUDALANGAI PORIYAL
- 2 medium sized Snake Gourd / Padvalakai
- 2-3 nos Green Chillies
- 2-4 tbsp coconut, grated
- small piece Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Oil / coconut oil, Coconut Oil pref
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1 no Red Chilli, broken
- few Curry Leaves
- Cut snake gourd vertical, scoop out seeds and pulp . From the pulp you can make chutney .. recipe is there in blog .
- Dice into small pieces as shown in pic .
- Next take oil in a frying pan and heat it. Add in mustard seeds & urad dal .Once it splutters, add red chilli , curry leaves and cumin .
- Add in chopped snake gourd,slit green chilli, salt ,jaggery and turmeric. Give a quick mix. Add little water , mix .. close and cook for 8-10 mins . Stir in between and cook until soft under low flame.
- Once snake gourd is cooked , add grated coconut . Mix . Make sure all water is evaporated.Switch off
- Enjoy Snake gourd stir fry with Rice / chapathi .
- Use coconut oil for enhanced flavor .
- Don't add lot of water while cooking snake gourd. Snake gourd will leave water when it is added with salt
- if you want little spicy , you can add little rasam powder or chilli powder . .