Spring Onion Curry Recipe with step by step photos Aka Eerulli kavu Gojju or eerulli hoovu gojju – Here is a yummy Karnataka style curry made from spring onion .This dish is a real treat to all those who love the combination of Sweet ,Sour & Spice..Slurp !!! A great accompaniment with Roti /plain rice /dosa /Idly.
Basically Gojju is an authentic Kannadiga style curry made with ground spices and some boiled or stir fried vegetables in it. This gravy tastes great with either rice ,rotis, idli , dosa etc .The recipe for gojju varies from home to home and this is how it’s made by my Amma .Addition of sesame seeds almong with fenugreek seeds gives a nice distinguished aroma to this curry. Choice of veggies can vary and but the basic masala remains same , just a few small changes here and there thats it. I have shared prior pineapple gojju , raw mango gojju , Hog plum gojju ….and today it’s Spring Onion Gojju is the chosen one .
Spring onions is called as Eerrulli Kaavu in Kannada . Mainly people use it to for garnishing salads , noodles , soup , manchurian , fried rice etc but there are so many other wonderful recipes out of it . Though now a days its available through out the year .. during winter we get little thicker versions of them that goes well to make stir fry , curry , gojju etc . We can’t store spring onions for many days as they start wilting in a 2-3 days so i try to finish them off soon before spoil . I have shared spring onion pakoda , spring onion chutney recipe Spring Onion Pakoda, here and today it’s time for spicy tangy little sweetish Spring onion curry aa Preparing Spring onion gojju is very simple. End result would be a , an absolute delight to your taste buds. Do try this, i’m sure you l keep licking your fingers and make your plate clean…. Here you go …
SPRING ONION CURRY RECIPE / EERULLI KAVU ( EERULLI HOOVU ) GOJJU
- 2 cup spring onion, chopped
- 1 big size tomato, chopped
- 2-3 tsp Jaggery, +/- based on your preference
- 1 tsp Tamarind pulp
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- Salt to taste
For the masala
- 1 cup coconut grated
- 2 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Benagl gram / chana dal
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1.5 tsp sesame seeds/ Til ( white )
- 4-8 nos Red Chilli as per your preference
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee / oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- a small pinch Hing /Asafetida
- few Curry Leaves
- Chop and remove the flower ends of spring onions and chop the remaining stalk into small bite size pieces
- Meanwhile in a small pan add few drops of oil.Add all the ingredients mentioned under masala except coconut and sesame.Roast them in medium low flame till red chillies becomes crisp and dal turns golden color.Add coconut to that and just saute it , may be for 1 min.Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Next,dry roast sesame seeds in the same pan till it turns golden. Add it to the mixer jar containing other roasted masala ingredients. Once its little cooled , add little water and make a very smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and stir fry chopped spring onions and tomatoes for 3-5 minutes adding little turmeric.
- To the sauted veggies , add ground masala , jaggery , salt and tamarind . Add around 1/2 cup of water. Boil the gravy on sim till it thickens .
- Season with mustard,hing and curry leaves.Switch off .
- Serve Spring onion gojju hot / warm with plain Rice / roti / dosa / Idli
- You have to roast sesame seeds very well. if its raw this dish will turn flop.
- Basically this dish will be tangy ,sweet n spicy. So to get the authentic taste add more jaggery ,tamarind n chilli. But you can vary it depending on your pref.
- You can substitute spring onion with raw mango / pineapple /bitter gourd/ dry raisins/ ladies finger/ Capsicum / orange peels.