How do you finish off those 1 or 2 brinjals sitting in your fridge ? I normally do brinjal raita,brinjal bhaja or brinjal chutney from it .Today i have for you all one excellent side dish from roasted brinjal which tastes great with anything and everything.This ” Brinjal Gojju / Sutta Badanekayi Huli Gojju /South Indian style Baingan Bharta ” is slighty tangy, slighty sweetish and slightly spicy..absolute lipsmacking….Like baingan bharta, this recipe calls for roasting the eggplant on fire. Once the egg plant is roasted, it takes just few minutes to make this dish.Hmm..The roasted flavor of brinjal mixed with roasted spices gives a unique taste.Don’t you believe me? Experience it ..
BADANEKAYI HULI GOJJU
- 1 Big purple brinjal
- small lemon size Tamarind, soaked in water
- 3 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- small lemon size Jaggery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped ( Optional )
- Coriander leaves, little
- to taste Salt
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil, ( coconut oil pref )
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Split Black gram/ Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram /Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1 Red Chilli, broken to pieces ( optional )
- Curry Leaves, few
- Wash the eggplant and pat dry.Rub its surface with a thin coat of oil.Keep it for roasting, on open flame.
- Switch off the flame when the brinjal shrinks in size and skin of brinjal has charred nicely.Whole kitchen would be filled with lovely smoky aroma.
- Let the eggplant cool for 5-10 mins. Later peel its charred skin,discard the stem.
- Now mash eggplant nicely using hand or fork.
- Squeeze the tamarind soaked in water to extract pulp . Next to the mashed brinjal add salt,green chilli ,tamarind water and jaggery .Mix well.If required add some water and adjust the consistency.
- Prepare the tempering.In a small kadai ,take oil.Add mustard seeds,urad dal and chana dal.Once they splutter add red chilli piece,curry leaves and hing.Switch off once curry leaves and red chili gets crispy. Pour this tempering on gojju.Add chopped coriander leaves.If required add fresh or sauted chopped onions . Mix everything.
- Serve the yummy brinjal gojju with rice / chapathi / dosa.
- For this Buy eggplants that are big yet light.Also there should be no wholes.Use either big purple ones or the round green or purple brinjal.In Karnataka,we get a special kind of brinjal called "matti gulla".Raita made from that tastes yummy.
- I've roasted eggplant on direct fire. If you want you can use grill / oven / coal . If you want you can boil brinjal and later mash them too. But you will compromise with the taste. The smoky flavor takes this raita to a new level.If you want you can roast tomatoes on fire , peel and mash them and add too. tastes good . I add some times. Addition of onions is purely optional . You can alter the tamarind, jaggery and chilli quantity as you like. Use coconut oil as far as possible to this dish . Gives really a good taste .