THAMBITTU RECIPE | HOW TO DO KARNATAKA STYLE THAMBITTU | SHIVARATRI SPECIAL TAMBITTU RECIPE | AKKI TAMBIITU UNDE | RICE LADDU
Traditionally thambittu made on a festive day are shaped as lamp / diya (deepa) and are called ‘Thambittu Deepa‘. Aarti is performed to the lord using these diyas. The laddus gets a nice smoky roasted flavour which are later served as prasada among friends and family.
Few Points to note while making Thambittu Recipe :
- As a short cut method, instead of roasting and grinding rice, you can directly use ready-made rice flour. Roast them and use them.
- You can add 2-3 tsp of Khus khus ( poppy seeds ). Roast and add.
- While making jaggery syrup, do not boil them for long and make a thick syrup. We just need to melt jaggery and make syrup like.
- Make the laddus when its still warm, else they egt harden and it will be difficult to make laddus.
- We don’t have to use a lot of ghee , just 2 tbsp is enough.
If you like this recipe couple of other Laddus that you can try
- 1 Cup Rice, sona masoori / any rice
- 1/2 cup Groundnut / peanut
- 1/2 Cup Fried gram / puttani
- 1/2 cup Dry Coconut / Kopra
- 1/4 cup White sesame seeds / ellu
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 nos Cardamom / Elaichi
- 2 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Water
- In a wide pan , dry roast rice for 2-3 mins.
- Let they get crisp and aromatic. Keep aside to cool.
- To the same pan, add peanuts. Dry roast on low flame till they are crisp and the skin starts to separate.
- Once the peanuts are crisp, keep them aside. Once they are cool,deskin. Keep aside.
- To the same tawa, add putani and roast on low flame till crisp. Keep them aside.
- Next, dry roast dry coconut/ kopra for 1-2 mins. Let they get crisp. Keep aside.
- Lastly, dry roast sesame seeds on low flame.Let they get crisp and start spluttering.Keep them aside.
- Time to blend and mix all the roasted ingredients one by one. To a mixer jar, add rosted peanuts and roasted fried gram. Note that they should be blended only after cooling.Blend to a coarse powder.
- Transfer the coarse power to a mixing bowl.
- To the same mixing bowl, add roasted kopra and sesame seeds.
- Next, make rice powder.To the mixer jar, add roasted cooled rice and 3-4 nos cardamom. Blend smooth, to get a fine powder.
- Using a siever, seive to get a finer rice powder. Add it to the mixing bowl.
- Combine all the dry ingredients well.
- Add hot ghee and combine well such that ghee gets incorporated to the entire mixture.
- Time to prepare jaggery syrup.In a tawa, take 2 cup jaggery. Add 1 cup water. Mix well.Dissolve the jaggery on a low medium flame.
- Boil for 2-3 mins and make a jaggery syrup. We need not make any thread consistency type syrup, just a light syrup like consistency is good.
- Filter the jaggery syrup and add to the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, mix everything well till everything is combined well. Let the mixture cool a bit such that its comfortable enough to handle.As it cools, you will notice that ghee -syrup gets absorbed and the mixture gets a bit dry. Take care not to cool the mixture a lot as it hardens.
- Time to prepare laddus. Take a handful of dough, roll smooth and shape like laddu. Continue and finsh off making all the laddus.
- That's it very tasty and healthy Tambittu unde is ready . Store them in an airtight container and enjoy. Stays good for couple of weeks.