Diwali is incomplete without crispy crunchy savories. One of the common snack every year my mom makes for diwali is ” Thengol / Thenkuzhal ” . Made with rice and urad dal , this snack is one of the favorites for krishna jayanthi too . I had always been fond of thengol right from childhood and now my kids too love it . Easy to make and yummy to taste . Do try it this diwali an d enjoy it with your friends and relatives …here you go :
THENGOL / THENKUZHAL
- 4 cups Rice flour/ idiyappam flour
- 1 cup Urad dal powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds /Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- big lemon size Butter
- to taste Salt
- oil to deep fry
- In a wide mixing bowl take rice flour , urad dal flour , jeera , butter , hing and salt . Mix the powder well without adding water .
- Add water in small batches to form a soft pliable dough.Knead well.
- Now heat the oil in a kadai / pan.
- While the oil is getting hot, grease the chakli mould and fix the plate shown in pic to chakli mould . Divide the dough into parts . Add one part of the dough to the mould & press .
- Press the dough into spirals on a wax paper or greased plastic sheets
- Once the correct temperature is reached, gently holding the end of the foil in one hand, slowly remove the flattened discs and drop them into the hot oil in batches of 4-5 depending on the size of the kadai used to deep fry.Deep fry them on medium low flame on both sides till they turn crisp .Color wise it will be little whitish or beige . Once done, remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel.
- Store the Thengol in air tight containers once cooled. Remains fresh for 1 month.Don't these cream color spirals look so addictive ???
- You can make dry thengol powder in huge batch and store for months and use as and when required.Nothing will happen.
- Rice and urad dal mix should be very fine .
- If you dont have urad dal powder you can soak urad dal and grind and mix it with rice flour .
- If you dont have butter you can add 2 tbsp of super hot oil. Heat oil such that when you pour on the dry flour bubbles comes .
- Check the oil readiness by dropping a small ball of dough into the oil. It has to come up immediately. this shows that oil has attained the right temperature n you can gently slide the thengol.
- While dropping the prepared thengol, the flame should be high,once they float to to top,reduce the flame to medium or medium low flame and fry till they become crisp.