Thondekai Palya Recipe | Thondekai palya | How to do Mangalorean style Thondekai Manoli Palya | Ivy gourd Stir fry | How to do Karnataka style Ivy gourd Stir fry | Dondakaya fry | Kovakkai Fry recipe
Mangalorean Tindora Cashew stir fry/ Ivy gourd stir fry is known as Thondekayi manoli palya in Kannada, Kovakkai Poriyal in Tamil and Dondakai fry in Telugu. There are different versions of making thondekai palya.The recipe I am sharing today is ..basically Konkani style Ivy Gourd & Cashew Sabzi. A customary side dish, in any function or festival in Konkani cuisine. Fresh, tender cashews are sauteed along with tender ivy gourd to make this tasty and simple stir fry .You can serve this as an accompaniment with rice or chapathi.
Tindora .. also known as Ivy gourd / Thondekayi is a very common and tasty veggie grown abundantly in Malnad and south Karnataka. It can be used to make many tasty dishes like stir fry, pickle, majjige huli , stuffed gravy, gojju etc . Usually, for most of the dishes .. tender young Tindora is preferred. They will be light green with firm skin . However, tindora gets ripened soon if not used quickly and also most of the times we get to know only after chopping . Most of them don’t use ripe red ones as they give a tart taste to the curry. And hence throw. But hey wait … do try this lip-smacking THONDEKAI CHUTNEY out of them.
Typically this Thondekayi godambi palya is made using tender cashews. However… it’s difficult to get in cities .. so I use the regular cashew, soak them in warm water for few minutes and later use. Do try and enjoy this simple dish .. here you go ..
You can also check few other South indian style stir fry …
THONDEKAI PALYA RECIPE | THONDEKAI MANOLI PALYA | IVY GOURD STIR FRY
- 1/2 kg Tindora / Thondekayi tender ones
- 1/2 cup Tender Cashew Nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut grated
- 1 tsp Rasam powder
- small piece Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2-3 nos Red Chilli broken
- few Curry Leaves
- Soak the cashews in warm water and a little salt for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the Ivy gourd and cut off the ends. Slit them lengthwise in quarters.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal and let them splutter. Throw in the broken dry red chillies into the kadai and add curry leaves along.
- Add the cashew nuts, slit ivy gourd and turmeric. Toss the veggies and cashews to mix with the tempering. Saute 1-2 mins .
- Add salt, jaggery, rasam powder and about 1/2 cup of water and mix everything well. Now cover and cook in medium heat for 15 minutes or until the ivy gourds are tender. Make sure not to overcook the Tindora . Both Tindora and cashew nuts should be soft but slightly crunchy.
- Add grated coconut and allow all the water to dry up with stirring. Check for salt and adjust spices if needed, allow to sit for a minute and switch off.
- Serve Mangalorean Tondekai manoli Upkari Recipe with Steamed Rice / chapathi etc .