Today i have for you all one easy,spicy and tangy pulav variety that is best for the days when you want to cook something tasty in a jiffy. Its ” Tomato Rice / Tomato Pulav ” – one of the best lunch box items. This dish remains to be one of my childhood favorites and now its my kids favorite too..Pair it up with some raita.. a bowl of hot steaming Tomato Rice is all gone..That’s how flavorful and delicious it is…
I am sure many of you know how to prepare this simple Tomato rice. There’s a different version for every family . i too in fact make tomato rice in 2-3 ways. We can make a bhaji kind of and later mix it with precooked / left over rice or cook everything together in 1 shot using pressure cooker.In the cooker method also i have two recipes.One is the grind and other is the no grind.Today i have the easiest quickest no grind one pot meal method of making tomato rice for you all.Next time some other method.So are you ready to make a note of it ? Here we go …
- 1 cup Basmati Rice /Any normal rice
- 2 cups Water, ( if using normal rice )
- 2 big size Ripe juicy Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 big size onion, ; sliced long
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 small ones Green Chillies, slit
- 1/4 cup Mixed vegetables ( beans, carrot, peas etc ), chopped
- a handful Coriander leaves, - chopped finely
For the seasoning
- 3 tbsps ghee / oil / oil +Ghee mixed
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 2 cardamom elaichi
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon/ dalchini, "
- 4 - 5 Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Bay leaf / tejpatta
Masala / Spice powders
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder, ( as per your spice level )
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder, (optional)
- 3/4 tsp Coriander/ Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin /Jeera powder
- little Kasoori methi /pudina
- Salt, as needed
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20 mins. Drain water completely.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil + ghee together. Once its hot, add cumin seeds,fennel seeds,bay leaf ,star anise,cloves,cinnamon and cardamom .
- Once the cumin and fennel seeds splutter, add onion ,green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Fry nicely till onion turns light brown in color.
- Next add chopped tomato and saute till they become mushy. ( add little salt while frying so that onion n tomato will get done quickly )
- Then add turmeric powder,salt,red chilli powder ,coriander powder ,cumin powder ,garam masala powder and kasoori methi. Mix and fry for a min.
- Add the chopped mixed veggies and drained rice. Mix.Saute for a min or two.
- Finally add hot water and coriander leaves. Mix and taste test. Salt and spice level should be slightly on higher side at this stage. Once the water starts boiling,close the lid and keep the flame to medium . Cook for 2 whistles and switch off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases ,gently fluff it up using a fork.
- Serve the delicious Tomato pulav hot hot with any raita of you choice.
- If you are using basmati rice ,cook for 1 whistle , keep on sim for abt 5-8 mins. Switch off. For normal rice , cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.Basmati rice will cook quickly. Also use less water for basmati rice.
- Adding vegetables is optional. You can do plain too if you are in a hurry.
- You can add sweet corn too.
- If you want you can add soaked soya chunks ( nuggets ) too. Add it along with vegetables and saute for few mins.
- Instead of kasoori methi you can add pudina leaves.