Apart from making pickles during summer time, making sandige /vadams /vadis and papads to stock up for the entire year is another big process that would take place at my mom’s house. As you all know , this summer i shared many such special recipes . To continue with the series , i have for you all “ Uddina Sandige / Urad dal Fryums “. They are called as ” Manipa Vadiyalu ” in Telugu and are very close to Tamilnadus ” Kuzhambu Vadam ” and North India’s ” Urad Dal Wadi. These fryums are extremely easy to make. The spicy Ural dal fryums are my most favorite ones along with aralu sandige . These urad dal fryums will surely perk up any meal when served as accompaniment with dal ,lemon rasam ,curd rice or when added into any curry.Yes these uddina sandige can also used to make curries which i’ll post some time.For now lets see how to make these fryums…
- 1 kg Urad dal / uddinabele
- 1/4 Kg Ash gourd / white pumpkin
- 2 - 3 medium size Raw mango
- 8 - 10 Green Chilli ( as your pref)
- to taste Salt
- Soak the urad dal for 2 to 3 hrs.
- Drain the urad dal and grind it into thick fine paste.
- Mean while remove the green outer skin of the ash gourd, soft inner region with seeds and grate it .Squeeze out the water from the grated ash gourd.
- Grind roughly chopped mangoes with chilli , salt and hing/make a fine paste like chutney .
- Now combine the urad dal paste ,grated squeezed ash gourd and mango chilli paste .Mix everything well and taste test .
- Spread a greased polythene sheet or cotton cloth under Sun .take spoon full of batter and put it on polythene such that they come out small and round in shape .You can use your hands also to put. But dont make big size sandige .
- Sun dry it for 2-3 days until the sandige dry completely.Then remove from the sheer and store them in a airtight container
- Shallow fry or deep fry the sandige as and when you require and serve with dal rice , lemon rasam, curd rice etc. I always shallow fry in coconut oil ( roast with little oil on medium flame) . Authentic Mangalore way of serving this sandige. Do give a try . you will love it for sure .
- ash gourd and white pumpkin adds nice tanginess to the batter .
- Make the batter thick only . Dont add too much water while grinding .
- Dont skip adding hing .