Udupi style Tomato Rasam Recipe with step by step recipe | How to do Udupi Style Tomato Rasam | How to do Tomato Saaru | Udupi style Tomato Saaru
Rasam is the most popular south Indian accompaniment which pairs nicely with rice as well as soup/appetizer. There are many types of rasam one can make. Among the various variety, the chosen one for the day is ” Tomato Rasam ” cooked in Udupi style or ” Tomato Saaru ” as called in Kannada. Saaru is one of the everyday dishes on our lunch menu…
Udupi apart from being a temple town is popular for its cuisine. Udupi restaurants are popular worldwide. Usually, Udupi rasam is little sweetish in taste, with mild spiciness and no onion – garlic. Yes… the addition of little jaggery, coconut oil and final tempering with hing gives a distinct, tempting flavour and taste. It’s very simple to make.
I always make and prefer homemade rasam powder as its the heart of a perfect flavourful rasam. I usually make it once and store it for a few months. However, if you want you can always use readymade rasam powder available in stores. Do try once n I’m damn sure.. you would agree with me. Here we go…
Few simple points to note while this Udupi style Tomato Rasam are as follows :
- The key to making a delicious flavorful rasam lies in the spice blend used while making it. So as far as possible to get the perfect authentic taste of Udupi rasam, try making homemade rasam powder following my recipe shared previously.
- Addition of coconut oil for roasting spices and tempering gives that distinct taste.
- Try not to omit jaggery and hing. Add at least little.
- The thickness of the rasam depends on your choice.
- As you boil, the taste of rasam increases.
you can also check Udupi hotel style sambar …