Vazhakkai Varuval / Raw Banana Fry is a simple tamilnadu style side dish made from plantain . Its a simple recipe but tastes amazing as such or when paired with rice with dal / rasam . Its spicy , little crispy yet soft from inside .
One can make Raw banana vazhuvaral in various ways . The one shared here is no onion no garlic vazhakkai varuval . Its an authentic tamil brahmin recipe .Vazhakkai means raw banana in tamil . In my home everyone like raw banana . I have shared raw banana raita , raw banana dosa here .. and today its raw banana fry . So are you ready to make a not of the recipe..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
VAZHAKKAI VARUVAL RECIPE / RAW BANANA FRY RECIPE / BALEKAI FRY
- 3 nos raw banana / Balekai
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Rasam powder
- 1 tbsp Gram Flour Besan
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash and peel the raw bananas and chop it into thin slices as shown in the picture. Keep the chopped slices in a bowl filled with water untill its ready to use. This will prevent blackening.
- Drain the water . To the raw banana slices add salt, turmeric powder ,chilli powder and rasam powder.Toss it and mix it well such that the masala gets coated well to the slices .
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and urad dal . When the mustard seeds splutter add curry leaves .
- Later add the coated raw banana pieces to the pan and toss them gently .. Keep the flame on low and stir in between . When the raw banana is cooked .. sprinkle gramflour .. toss gently such that it gets coated well . Add 1-2 tsp of oil and let the raw banana pieces get nicely fried on low flame .
- Vazzakkai varuval is ready to serve. Tastes awesome as side dish along with dal / rasam / curd rice .
- you can increase or decrease spices based on your preference .