WATERMELON HALWA RECIPE| WATERMELON RIND HALWA |HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON HALWA | WATERMELON HALWA RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
Today I have for you all a delicious Watermelon halwa … an easy way to satisfy your sweet craving and it tastes amazingly delicious. This is one of those desserts which is just perfect for any celebration and requires only few ingredients.
In India, Halwa is made with so many ingredients be it Sooji, Besan, Moong, Carrot, fruits etc. One of the most common halwa is Carrot halwa, then we have Bottle gourd Halwa, Banana Halwa and so on! The main ingredients for today’s watermelon halwa are Watermelon Rind, ghee and sugar. Yes, you read it right .. this halwa is prepared from the rind of watermelon which is usually thrown as waste. Doesn’t it feel good making food out of something that’s usually trash? Watermelon halwa looks and tastes almost similar to Ashgourd Halwa.
Watermelon is full of vitamins A, C and B6 potassium and amino acids. And it is approximately 92 % water, so very hydrating and low cal. Apparently, peels of watermelon have even more nutrients than the fruit. It has a crisp texture, tastes and looks like a cucumber/ ash gourd which making watermelon rind great for cooking. As it’s mild in flavour, it takes in flavour we add, very nicely.
Our ancestors were very clever. we peep into traditional grandmas kitchen, we are sure to find numerous ways in which they incorporated the peels, seeds and kernels .. they would hardly throw anything and make sure all the nutrients from each veggie is utilized fully. There are so many things to learn from our ancestors, isn’t it… One can make one delicious Dosa, sasmi , chutney, water melon rind subzi etc from this watermelon rind.
Watermelon Rind Halwa is very easy to make but takes a bit of time to put together. The major big task while making this halwa is .. you have to keep on sauteeing halwa till all water has evaporated and it gets a translucent jelly-like texture. Since watermelon is little watery in nature, this process takes a while and tastes our patience. So better plan making this halwa in such a way that you have other works in the kitchen and in between you can stir this halwa.
Few points to note before making Watermelon Rind Halwa:
- Squeezing out most of the water from watermelon Rind else it will take really really long for the halwa to get done .
- Remember to grate the watermelon rind from the thicker side of the grater, if you grate from the thin side, it just loses texture . So, grate using the thicker holes.
- It’s better to use a heavy bottom pan to make halwa so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Addition of Citric acid / Nimbu ka phool is optional. Add only if you like a tinge of tang. You can substitute with lime too.
- Addition of cream or khova gives a nice creamy texture. If you don’t have, you can add 1-2 tsp roasted chiroti rava too.
So are you ready to jot down this tasty Watermelon Halwa Recipe… Here you go … !!
Watermelon Rind Halwa
- 2 cup Water melon Rind
- 1/2-3/4 cup Sugar, based on your preferance
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee, Can +/- quantity
- 1-2 tsp Khova /Khoya Mawa
- 1 tsp Elaichi powder
- a pinch Food color / Saffron soaked in milk
- a pinch Citric acid crystals / nimbu uppu
- a pinch Salt
- cashews and rasins as required
- After cutting the fruit , take out theskin . Scrape green region of watermelon skin and grate only white region ( rind ).
- Use bgger hole side to grate and apply pressure while grating.
- Squeeze out most of the water from the watermelon rind . Do this process 1-2 times , to extrat maximum water .
- You can use this squeesed water to make some curry, knead the dough, drink etc.
- To a thick bottom kadai , add 1-2 tbsp ghee. Saute grated watermelon rind till it's translucent or almost till all water has evaporated .
- You can see that after sometime , it starts leaving water .Saute in between till almost all water has evaporated Don't lid the pan while cooking It may take around 10 mins.
- When water has almost evaporated add sugar.
- You can see once we have added sugar , halwa will again start leaving water and become watery. Keep flame on medium high , stir in between and continue to cook till water is reduced . It takes a while for the water to reduce , so better plan making Halwa in such a way that you have other works in kitchen and in between you mix this halwa , else it get s very boring .
- Add ghee in intervals and continue in sauteing. Add Kesar / saffron soaked in hot milk.
- Add pinch of salt and few crystals of Citric acid crystals ( nimbu uppu / nimbu ka Phool). Can add 2-3 drops of lime too.
- When Halwa has started thickening, add just 1-2 tsp crumbled Khova or cream or 1-2 tsp chiroti rava. This will give good texture.
- Lastly, add fried nuts and elaichi powder .. mix .
- When Ghee starts oozing out and halwa comes out as a mass .. it's done . Switch off ,You can see how glossy, translucent and jelly-like watermelon halwa has turned.
- Enjoy Watermelon Rind halwa hot / warm / as such .