WATERMELON RIND CURRY RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | WATERMELON RIND SABZI RECIPE | HOW TO DO WATERMELON RIND PALYA | RECIPES USING WATERMELON RIND
What do you do with peel of watermelon? If the answer is throw.. Hey wait !! let me tell you … a delicious dish that can be made using these peels. This ” Watermelon Rind Curry / Watermelon Rind Sabzi / Kallangadi Sippe Palya ” made with white part of watermelon peel, tastes really great with Rice and chapati. Doesn’t it feel good making food out of something that’s usually trash?
Watermelon is full of vitamins A, C and B6 potassium and amino acids. And it is approximately 92 % water, so very hydrating and low cal. Apparently , peels of watermelon is even more nutrient than the fruit. It has a crisp texture, tastes and looks like a cucumber/ ash gourd which making watermelon rind great for cooking. As it’s mild in flavour , it takes in flavour we add, very nicely.
Our ancestors were very clever. we peep into traditional grandmas kitchen, we are sure to find numerous ways in which they incorporated the peels, seeds and kernels .. they would hardly throw anything and make sure all the nutrients from each veggie is utilized fully. There are so many things to learn from our ancestors, isn’t it… One can make one delicious Dosa , sasmi , chutney etc from this watermelon rind. Will share them one by one over time. For now .. are you ready to jot down this easy tasty South Indian style watermelon rind curry ( palya /sabzi )… Here you go …makes a great side dish !
WATERMELON RIND CURRY / WATERMELON RIND PALYA / WATERMELON RIND RECIPES
- 2 cup Watermelon Rind
- 1 tsp Rasam powder / sambar powder, based on your spice level
- 1/4 tsp Haldi / turmeric
- a small piece Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut, to garnish
- 2-3 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- a pinch Hing / asafoetida
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 nos Red Chilli, broken
- After cutting the fruit, take out the watermelon rind ( White region ) . Take off the outermost green skin , as thin as possible and discard it. We would be using only the white part.
- Wash and chop white part into small pieces as shown in pic.
- In a pan /kadai, add coconut oil. Temper mustard, urad dal. When it splutters .. add hing, red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add chopped watermelon rind, saute 1-2 mins.
- Later, add salt, haldi, rasam powder/sambar powder and small piece jaggery .. mix.
- Don't add any extra water .. you will see that rind itself will leave lots of water . Cover and cook for 8-10 mins or till done .
- Lastly, add grated coconut. Mix .
- Watermelon rind Palya is ready .. enjoy it with rice / Chapathi .