HOW TO DO WATERMELON RIND RAITA / WATERMELON RIND PACHADI RECIPE / WATERMELON RIND MOSARU GOJJU RECIPE
What do you do with peel of watermelon? If the answer is throw.. Hey wait !! let me tell you … a delicious dish that can be made using these peels. This ” Watermelon Rind Raita recipe/ Watermelon Rind mosaru gojju ” made with white part of watermelon peel, tastes really great with Rice and chapati. Doesn’t it feel good making food out of something that’s usually trash?
Watermelon is full of vitamins A, C and B6 potassium and amino acids. And it is approximately 92 % water, so very hydrating and low cal. Apparently , peels of watermelon is even more nutrients than the fruit. It has a crisp texture, tastes and looks like a cucumber/ ash gourd which making watermelon rind great for cooking. As it’s mild in flavour, it takes in flavour we add, very nicely.
Our ancestors were very clever. we peep into traditional grandmas kitchen, we are sure to find numerous ways in which they incorporated the peels, seeds and kernels .. they would hardly throw anything and make sure all the nutrients from each veggie is utilized fully. There are so many things to learn from our ancestors, isn’t it… One can make one delicious Dosa, sasmi , chutney, water melon rind subzi etc from this watermelon rind. Will share them one by one over time. For now .. are you ready to jot down this easy tasty South Indian style watermelon rind raita ( mosarugojju /sasmi )… Here you go …makes a great side dish !!
Few variations and points to note before making Water melon Rind Raita :
- We should use only white region of the peel .. discard green region.
- Cook till soft / translucent .
- Make sure that watermelon rind is well cooled before adding curd.
- If you want a thicker version of raita, you can grind little coconut along with green chillies and later add.
WATERMELON RIND RAITA RECIPE / WATERMELON RIND PACHADI
- 1 cup water melon rind
- 2 cup curd
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Jeera Powder
- 1/4 tsp Dhania powder
- few sprigs Coriander leaves
- pinch Haldi / turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, finely chopped
- Scrape green region of watermelon skin and grate only white region ( rind ).
- Splutter mustard, cumin in coconut oil or any oil. Add hing, curry leaves and 2-3 green chilli. Saute 1-2 mins.
- Add grated watermelon rind, little Haldi and tsp of salt. Saute for a min.
- Add jeera powder and dhania powder. Cover and cook for about 5 min till it's soft.
- Once soft.. allow to cool nicely.
- Add curd, salt and coriander leaves once watermelon rind is nicely cooked. Mix well.
- Serve watermelon rind mosaru gojju ( raita ) chilled with chapati or rice.