Today i have for you all a traditional dish Erissery from Kerala cuisine which is an integral part of any feast / Onam sadya . There are many veggies like Yam , Raw banana , pumpkin etc one can make erissery with .. but for today the chosen one is Yam Erissery . I ate Yam erissery first time in one of my friends house and just loved . I usually don’t buy yam often coz of the itchiness it gives while cutting . But to make yam erissery and share here .. i had to buy it . yam erissery is very easy to make and tastes great as a side dish along with steamed rice. Taste of Yam erissery gets enhanced from roasted coconut and coconut oil tempering.So don’t skip it !!!
The base of the erissery is usually a blend of fresh coconut, cumin, pepper, and chillies. Some people add few garlic flakes and shallots too .. but we like it plain . Along with yam .. we can add some cowpeas too ( that’s how my friend had made .. ) . Usually this dish has little dry texture .. but if you want you can add water and adjust the consistency you prefer . So are you ready to check out Yam erissery recipe with step by step pics.. here you go …
YAM ERISSERY RECIPE / CHENA ERISSERY - KERALA STYLE YAM CURRY RECIPE
- 2 cups Yam / Elephant's Foot
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- Salt to taste
For Grinding ( masala )
- 1 Cup fresh coconut, grated
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper corns
- 1-2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- Grease your hands with oil to prevent itching ( preferably coconut oil ) .Scrap the skin of yam.
- Chop them into bite sized pieces. Keep them immersed in water till ready to use . This prevents in blackening of yam
- Transfer the chopped yam pieces into a pan . Add a tsp of salt , turmeric and around 1 cup of water . Cover and cook it .
- Meanwhile prepare masala . In a mixer grinder ,along with cumin, pepper, green chilli and grind to a coarse paste adding 2-3 tablespoon of water Few people add shallot ( small onion ) while grinding .. i dont use. You can see which way you like .
- Check if yam is cooked . It should be soft if mashed . mash them lightly using the back of the laddle
- To the semi-mashed yam pieces, add the ground masala, salt and sprinkle a little water (if the water added initially has dried out). Mix everything well.
- Keep the flame on low and cover and cook for 4-5 minutes so that all the flavors are infused.
- Meanwhile, heat another pan and toast the coconut on low flame until golden brown. Keep aside.
- Next, Prepare the tempering. Add coconut oil. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add curry leaves and switch off.
- Finally, mix both the roasted coconut and tempering to the Yam erissery and gently give a stir. Reserve a little amount of roasted coconut for garnish.
- Garnish with roasted coconut and serve Chenakayi Erissery Recipe (Yam Erissery) with steamed rice
- If you add you can add some cooked cowpeas too while making it .
- Don't cook yam too mushy .. we should ble to feel small small pieces here and there while eating
- Don't grind coconut paste too fine .. coarse consistency with less water is preferred