BESAN PITLA RECIPE ( ZUNKA ) / BOMBAY CHUTNEY RECIPE - MAHARASHTRA STYLE PITLA
No veggies in stock ? No mood to dine out ? No mood to cook something elaborate ? In a rush ? Unexpected guests ? Wait wait wait .. solution for all these scenarios lies in my today's post in the form of " Maharashtrian Pitla / Besan Pitla / Bombay Chutney ". A quickie ,yummy and simple curry that can be put together in just 10 mins!! Pitla is a popular dish from the North Karnataka and Maharashtra region . Its also called as Zunka / junka in few regions . Made in minutes , this a perfect side dish to have with phulkas / bhakri / rice.Traditionally this side dish is served with jowar roti . I often make pitla as my hubby just loves them . Do give a try friends ..I am sure you too will love it and don't forget to bookmark this handy recipe ..
BESAN PITLA / ZUNKA / BESAN CHUTNEY
- Take gram flour in a mixing bowl . Add 1 1/2 cup of water and mix well to remove any lumps .
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.When they crackle add a pinch of asafoetida, ,curry leaves and green chilli . Saute for 1-2 mins .
- Add chopped onion, turmeric powder and salt.Saute till translucent.
- Pour besan batter on it.
- Add little water and adjust the consistency as per your requirement. Keep mixing the batter continuously. Make sure there are no lumps. Cover the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in between.When mixture turns thick, switch off the heat.
- Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and lemon juice .Mix. Easy and delicious side dish is ready to serve .Enjoy it hot with phulka or sorghum roti or plain rice.
- It is better to have the pitla immediately once made as it tends to thicken as it cools down.
- You can skip tomato if you wish . I add sometimes only .
- Dont thicken the curry too much as it starts becoming thick once its cooled .
- If your pitla has become more thick you can dilute with water and heat for 2 minutes.
- If you want for extra spice , can add some red chilli powder .
- If you want you can add some crushed garlic and saute with onion .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!