No veggies in stock ? No mood to dine out ? No mood to cook something elaborate ? In a rush ? Unexpected guests ? Wait wait wait .. solution for all these scenarios lies in my today’s post in the form of ” Maharashtrian Pitla / Besan Pitla / Bombay Chutney “. A quickie ,yummy and simple curry that can be put together in just 10 mins!! Pitla is a popular dish from the North Karnataka and Maharashtra region . Its also called as Zunka / junka in few regions . Made in minutes , this a perfect side dish to have with phulkas / bhakri / rice.Traditionally this side dish is served with jowar roti . I often make pitla as my hubby just loves them . Do give a try friends ..I am sure you too will love it and don’t forget to bookmark this handy recipe ..
BESAN PITLA / ZUNKA / BESAN CHUTNEY
Take gram flour in a mixing bowl . Add 1 1/2 cup of water and mix well to remove any lumps .
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.When they crackle add a pinch of asafoetida, ,curry leaves and green chilli . Saute for 1-2 mins .
Add chopped onion, turmeric powder and salt.Saute till translucent.
Add little water and adjust the consistency as per your requirement. Keep mixing the batter continuously. Make sure there are no lumps. Cover the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in between.When mixture turns thick, switch off the heat.
Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and lemon juice .Mix. Easy and delicious side dish is ready to serve .Enjoy it hot with phulka or sorghum roti or plain rice.
- It is better to have the pitla immediately once made as it tends to thicken as it cools down.
- You can skip tomato if you wish . I add sometimes only .
- Dont thicken the curry too much as it starts becoming thick once its cooled .
- If your pitla has become more thick you can dilute with water and heat for 2 minutes.
- If you want for extra spice , can add some red chilli powder .
- If you want you can add some crushed garlic and saute with onion .