Today im sharing with you all a quick ,simple and homely dessert which you won’t find in any restaurant menus ,but savored regularly in costal Karnataka.“Banana Rasayana” is very easy ,no cook & easy to whip Vegan banana dessert… there is nothing that can go wrong here even when you are the newbie into the kitchen.
Banana Rasayana is basically a sweetened flavored coconut milk mixed with chopped bananas.Wondering thats all??!! Yes , its just that .Publishing simple,easy,home cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.You can make it in minutes if coconut milk is ready.Besides being tasty and simple it is one of those super quick dessert to entertain unexpected guests in a jiffy.This requires very little effort and you will be thrilled with the welcome your payasam gets.Its also a savior when u have those ripen bananas lying in the pantry calling your attention immediately.There are two versions of banana rasayana,1 is the payasam form which im sharing today and other is the dry version which ill share soon.
If you have not tasted this humble dish, i suggest you to try this recipe once coz if a person like me ( who doesn’t have a sweet tooth ) can relish this,im sure anyone can !! Off i go with the recipe :
- 8 Bananas Ripe ( I normally use 2 Cavendish banana n rest elaichi banana ; U can use whichever available)
- 2 Cup coconut Grated
- 1/2 Cup Sugar jaggery / - ( as per your taste)
- 2 Nos cardamom elaichi /
- A pinch Salt of
- Remove the outer cover of each banana and chop them to small pieces.
- Put this chopped bananas into vessel. Add sugar /jaggery ,a pinch of salt and mix them well. Keep them aside for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile prepare coconut milk. Grind grated coconut along with elaichi adding half a cup of water.Do superfine paste.Once it is ground finely,pour it on a strainer and squeeze it to get thick coconut milk.
- Add this coconut milk to the banana mixture and mix well.
- Again add little water to the grinded coconut and squeeze the milk.This will be thinner in consistency.Slowly add this thin coconut milk to the banana mix till the consistency of payasam is attained.
- Delicious banana rasayana is ready to serve.Serve as it is / serve chilled / serve as an accompaniment with neeru dosa,chapathi or shavige (string hoppers).
- Since coconut milk is used, it tastes best when consumed fresh.
- You can replace banana with ripe mangoes or apple or musk melon.
- For a quick version, you can replace coconut milk with normal milk .And this dish becomes "Shikran" a Maharashtrian dessert.
- You can also used store brought coconut milk for this dish. However they taste best when prepared fresh.