Today I have for you all a delicious snack made from Beetroot. Its “ Beetroot Cutlet / Beetroot Tikkis “. It’s simple, quick to prepare and tastes real yum. Made from handy ingredients it’s a perfect healthy after school snack for your kiddos. Relish it as your tea time snack or serve as a starter in your next get together or stuff between buns and munch as burgers .. the choice is all yours. But whichever way… I’m sure that everyone would love it plus its so easy and simple to make.
Isn’t the pink colour of the beetroot so tempting ?? Maybe that’s the reason my kids are such a big fan of this veggie. Make anything from beetroots .. I know they will empty it off. And I am happy that with it “n” number of health benefits that beetroot carries, is going in. I have already posted a few beetroot recipes like beetroot halwa , beetroot chutney etc and today it’s time for Beetroot Cutlet. I couldn’t click many good pics this time as kids were getting restless to attack the plate ..in fact my son started putting his hands in between and kept biting pieces while I was taking pictures!! So gave up …
BEETROOT CUTLET ( TIKKI )
- 2 beetroot, - Medium
- 2 potato, - Medium
- 1 onion, - Medium
- 2 Chilli, - finely chopped
- a handfull Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder/ Jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 3/4 tsp Aamchoor / Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tbsp Cornflour maida, ( to coating )
- 4 - 5 tbsps Bread crumb /Fine rava, to bind
- to taste Salt
- Oil to deep fry / shallow fry
- Boil potatoes , deskin and mash . Finely chop the onions ,chilli , ginger and grate beetroot .
- In a pan take a tsp of oil . Add onion and grated beetroot. Saute fo 2-3 mins . Such that onions become aromatic . Allow it to cool .
- After the onion - beet mix cools , add to it mashed potato , green chilli , coriander leaves and all spice powder ( red chilli powder , jeera powder, garam masala powder , aamchoor , chat masala and salt ) .
- Mix everything well. Taste test and add if anything required
- Divide the dough to small / medium equal size balls . Shapen them depending on your choice . You can do round flat disc /oval / heart shape / use any cookie cutter to give special shape .
- In a small bowl , mix maida or corn flour with 2 to 3 tbsp of water such that no lumps are formed . The batter should not be thick . In another plate spread breadcrumbs.
- Dip cutlet in cornflour mix to coat all sides and then coat it with bread crumbs well, Repeat same for rest of the cutlets . Keep cutlets covered in refrigerator for 30 mins / more to firm them . You can finish cutlet preparation till here and refrigerate and fry fresh when you are about to serve .
- The coated cutlets can be deep fried / shallow fried on tawa .
Deep fry :
- Keep oil to deep fry in a kadai / deep pan . Once oil is hot, deep fry the cutlet until golden brown from all side.
- Place the cutlet over absorbent napkin to drain excess oil.
Shallow Fry :
- Heat a pan or tawa add 1 tbsp oil, place 4-5 pieces of cutlet and cook in slow to medium heat until it becomes light brown, turn to other side and cook again until light brown, if needed drizzle some oil, repeat same for rest of pieces.
- Serve Beetroot Cutlets hot with ketchup / green chutney .
- Take care that potatoes while boiling don't absorb excess water . If they do , after cooking place the potatoes on tissue paper so that excess water goes .
- If you want you can add any other mixed veggies too .
- You can either deep fry them or shallow fry them on tawa. Both taste equally good.But if you are doing in large quantity, better to deep fry as it gets over equally .