Betel Leaves Rice Recipe | How to do Betel leaves rice Recipe | Betel leaves rice recipe with step by step photo | Vetrilai sadam recipe | Veeledele leaves Rice recipe
Today i have an easy ,simple and yummy variety rice recipe ” Betel leaves rice / Vetrilai Sadam ” . It’s very easy to make , hardly takes 15 mins if cooked rice is ready . Look wise and the way it’s made is almost similar to our chitranna / lemon rice .. but it tastes entirely different . Betel leaves gives a distict aroma and flavour . Few people might not like it immediately .. but next few spoons .. you will relish it . But make sure not to pick too mature / old betel leafs . It will give a tinge bitterness .
Beetel leaves are called as veeledele in Kannada and is a must for any auspicious occasions be it for wedding , festival , pooja etc . It is a part of tambula/ kalasa during those rituals . They are not only auspicious .. but healthy too . Betel leaves along with chuna is given to a new lactating moms everyday post lunch as it aids in milk production . They aid in digestion , good for weight loss , cold cough , oral health and diabetes too ..no wonder these heart shaped leaves are part of our age old tradition since long . Apart from consuming them in the form of paan .. one can make few dishes too out of it . If you have few left over betel leaves after a pooja or function at home .. these easy and simple recipes come handy to finish them off rather waste . I had shared earlier and today it’s time for betel leaves rasam .Its unique .. easy .. simple and full of flavors . Do give a try .. and i hope you will like this easy variety rice ..
BETEL LEAVES RICE RECIPE / VETRILAI SADAM / BETEL LEAVES RECIPE
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 4-5 nos Betel leaves / Paan leaves / Veeledele
- 3-4 nos Green Chilli adjust your pref
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- few sprigs Coriander leaves Chopped
- 2-3 tsp fresh coconut grated ( optional )
- Lemon juice as required
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1 no Red Chilli broken
- few Peanuts
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2.5 ie 1 glass rice 2.5 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.Allow the rice to cool completely.
- Wah betel leaves and green chillies
- In a mixer jar , grind rougly betel leaves and green chilli . This makes rice more flavorful . However if you want a mild flavor of betel leaves , skip and just fine chop leaves .
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan / kadai. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds,urad dal, channa dal and ground nuts. When mustard seeds splutter nicely, add red chilly and curry leaves. Saute.Add turmeric and salt.
- Add roughly ground betel leaves & green chilli . Sauté it for 3-4 mins till raw smell goes .
- Masala for betel leaves is ready .
- Add cooked cooled rice to the pan.Squeeze lime . Mix them thoroughly & gently. Ensure no rice lumps are formed.Taste test. If you feel its little bland , add salt and lime .
- Finally add grated coconut & chopped coriander .Mix
- Betel leaves rice / veeledele chitanna is ready . Enjoy it with some papad .
- Make sure not to pick too mature / old betel leafs . It will give a tinge bitterness .
- If you want you can add few cashews / fresh green peas / chopped onion .