Today I have for you all a healthy, refreshing, yummy and super quick accompaniment made from Bottlegourd. That’s ” Bottle gourd raita recipe / Doodhi Raita ”. In Kannada its called ” Sorekayi Mosaru Gojju ”. Usually, raitas are very simple to make but taste awesome. This Bottle gourd raita too falls under that category. Making of this bottle gourd raita is very very simple and hardly takes any time but taste-wise they are yum.
Bottle gourd is a very healthy vegetable unfortunately many are not that fond of it . Including bottle gourd in our diet reduces fatigue and maintains freshness especially in summer. It’s a natural body cooler as it has good moisture content. I have shared earlier bottle gourd halwa, bottle gourd dal, Doodhi muthiya and today i have for you all bottle gourd raita.
The best part is you will keep guessing what this raita is made from. This is a simple bottle gourd Raita recipe that anyone can make. I make them often in my home and everybody loves it. you too give a try and let me know your feedback.. here you go…
BOTTLEGOURD RAITA RECIPE / LAUKI ( DOODHI ) RAITA / SOREKAYI RAITA
- 1 cup Bottle gourd /(doodhi / lauki), grated
- 3 cup Yoghurt / curd
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, chopped
- 3/4 tsp Roasted Cumin powder / Jeera powder
- few Coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1-2 broken Red Chilli, Broken
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- Beat yoghurt in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel , de seed and grate bottle gourd
- Add a pinch of salt , 1/4- 1/2 cup water and boil the grated bottle gourd .
- Simmer and cook till lauki softens . Let it cool a bit before adding it to yoghurt .If you have lot of extra water as left over , drain and keep aside . You can use this water to some other dish .
- Prepare a tempering . Splutter mustard seeds in oil . Add red chilli and curry leaves . Switch off .
- In a bowl mix boiled bottle gourd , chilli , coriander leaves , cumin powder , tempering with yoghurt. Stir gently.
- Serve bottle gourd raita with rice / chapathi / biriyani etc
- If you want you can add little chopped onion too
- Use lauki as soon as peeled else it will turn black .