Are you wondering what to do with those few slices of leftover bread lying in the kitchen? Do you love Dosas? But feel boring and time consuming to make it often at home coz of soaking and fermentation process ? Here’s an excellent dish to clear off those left over bread slices as well satisfy your dosa craving .That’s ” Bread Dosa / Bread Uttapam “.With just a few bread slices and some easily available ingredients from your kitchen pantry in no time your dosa is ready.. yes no fermentation required.Make instant bread Dosa / uttapam whenever you like …..its that easy and quick.
Few points to note while making Bread Dosa Recipe
- You can use any bread.White,brown,multi grain,buns,fresh old,anything.
- I usually don’t remove the brown edges while making the dosa. If you want you can remove.
- The above proportion yields a crisp dosa ( when hot ) and medium soft uthappam . But if you plan to make only uthappam , you can increase the bread quantity and add 2 tbsp of soaked poha while grinding. that will yield very soft uthappam.
- You can use buttermilk too.
- If you don’t add tempering, you can make more thin dosas.
- If you want while grinding you can add little ginger/ jeera etc . Similarly toppings could be anything like spring onion, peas,corn etc.
Check Out the Video recipe here :
BREAD DOSA / BREAD UTHAPPAM
- 4 - 6 bread slices, Any
- 1/2 cup Semolina / sooji Rava
- 3/4 cup Rice flour
- 1 cup Sour curd
- 1 Green Chilli, ( Optional )
- 2 tsps Coriander leaves, Chopped ( optional )
- to taste Salt
To Temper ( Optional )
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- few Curry Leaves, chopped finely
For Uthappam ( optional )
- carrots, Grated ,
- onion, chopped
- few Coriander leaves, chopped
- Take the bread slices and soak in water for 2-3 mins.
- Squeese out the extra water.
- Grind together in a mixer soaked bread ,semolina ,rice flour, chilli and curd . Add enough water to help grinding. Grind to a smooth batter.
- Transfer the ground batter to a big bowl ,add salt and mix well. Check the consistency of the batter. it sould be pouring consistency.
- Next to the batter if you want you add a tempering. Keep little oil in a pan, add onion and saute for 2-3 mins. Add curry leaves and switch off.
- Add the tempering as well chopped coriander leaves to the batter and mix. So as i said , you can do plain dosa or dosa without tempering.
- Heat a tawa.Pour a laddle full of batter. Spread it in circular direction to make it to thin dosa.Drizzle few drops of oil around it.Cover and cook on medium flame for abt 1-2 mins.No need to flip over and cook.Once its done, the dosas come out easily from the tawa .
- Fold and serve crispy bread dosa accompanied with chutney or sambar or chutney powder of your choice.Relish when hot to enjoy the crispiness.
To Make Bread Uthappam :
- Take the plain dosa batter .Prepare toppings your choice for uthappam. I used grated carrots and onions.
- Pour a laddle full of batter onto the hot tawa.Don't spread much. Immediately top it with a tbsp of toppings,Press the toppings gently so that it gets sticked to the dosa. ( Toppings should be added before dosa gets cooked , that way they won't fall apart ).Cover and cook on low -medium flame. Once one side is cooked flip it and cook veggie side too.
- That's it healthy veggie Bread Uthappam is ready to serve.