Bread halwa Recipe | Bread halwa Recipe with Step by Step Photos
Today I have for you all a simple and quick dessert made from fresh/leftover bread slices … ” Bread Halwa “. It is unique, super delicious and very very easy to make .. takes hardly 10-12 mins to make. Since it doesn’t involve any syrup preparing process or any other tricky step, making this Bread halwa is an easy peasy sweet even for beginners. With just a few bread slices and some easily available ingredients from your kitchen pantry in no time your dessert is ready … Yes ..I mean it .. it’s that easy.An excellent dish to clear off those leftover bread slices and also an instant dessert to serve unexpected guests.
Bread Halwa is one popular dish from Hyderabadi Cuisine. I had seen this a few months before hear and since then wanted to try it … and i am glad i did try this yummy recipe. My family and kids completely loved it and craved for it more. You too give a try and enjoy with your family and friends and be ready for appreciation. A delicious dessert will be ready within 15 mins..
Do check out the bread halwa video here :
Few points to note while making Bread Halwa Recipe :
- Roast bread pieces nicely on medium-low flame till nicely crisp and brown.
- Add ghee in steps only …If you want can reduce a tbsp of ghee.
- If you don’t have saffron threads / Kesari ..you can add a pinch of food colour.
- use any bread.. sandwich/milk/ wheat etc
BREAD HALWA RECIPE / HOW TO MAKE BREAD HALWA
- 4-6 nos Bread slice
- 3-4 tsp Ghee
- 1 cup Hot Milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kesar / Saffron threads
- few dry fruits ( cashews , almond , raisins )
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder / elaichi powder
- Soak saffron in 2-3 tsp warm milk and keep aside .
- Pulse bread slices to make crumbs... no need to discard edges. If you want .. you can.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a thick bottom Kadai / pan and saute raisins, cashews and almonds in it, one by one. When they turn golden brown remove and keep aside.
- To the same pan, add 2 tbsp ghee and slow roast bread crumb till crispy and golden brown. This will take 5-6 mins.
- Once the bread crumbs are nicely roasted .. it will be crisp and flavorful.
- In goes .. 1 cup hot milk. Mix such that no lumps are formed.
- Once all milk has absorbed, add sugar and combine. You will see that sugar dissolves and halwa starts becoming shiny and gooey.
- When sugar dissolves fully and blends in nicely, add in roasted nuts, cardamom powder, remaining ghee ( add in steps ) and soaked saffron milk. Adding a tsp of ghee towards the end .. gives a nice glossy finishing effect also remember to add ghee little by little in steps only.
- Combine everything. Once ghee starts oozing from halwa and starts to leave the sides of the pan..switch off. That's it .. tasty and super easy Bread halwa is ready to relish. Hardly takes 10 mins. Perfect to serve any unexpected guests.
- Enjoy Bread Halwa hot or warm. Keeps well for 2-3 days if refrigerated. You can warm and serve.