Are you wondering what to do with those few slices of leftover old bread lying in the kitchen? Today’s post ” Bread Upma recipe” is an excellent dish to clear off those left over bread slices . With just a few bread slices and some easily available ingredients from your kitchen pantry in no time .. an easy tasty and quick dish is ready … Yes !! making this bread upma is that simple . One can enjoy it as breakfast or snack … which ever way .. I am sure you are gonna enjoy !!!.
Check Out the Video recipe here :
BREAD UPMA RECIPE / HOW TO MAKE BREAD UPMA
- 5-7 slices bread slices
- 2 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 medium size Tomatoes, Chopped
- 3-4 tbsp capsicum, Chopped ( optional )
- 3-4 tbsp carrot, grated ( optional )
- 2- nos Green Chillli, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeic / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder, optional
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2-4 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1 tsp Channa Dal / bengal gram
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- few Cashews / Groundnut, Optional
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- Coriander leaves
- fine sev to garnish, optional
- Roughly chop bread slices in cubes and keep aside .
- Heat a pan with oil and splutter mustard , urad dal , channa dal and cumin seeds .Add cashew / ground nut roast till crisp . Add curry leaves .
- Add chopped onions & green chilli . Saute till onions are translucent . Later add tomatoes and salt .Saute till they are mushy . Add capsicum and carrot . Saute for 1-2 mins .
- Add haldi powder ,garam masala powder , red chilli powder and sugar . Saute for a minute .
- Add 3-4 tbsp water , cover and cook for 2-3 minutes till the mixture is thick saucy type .
- Add bread cubes and mix well so that each piece gets coated with masala
- Cover and keep on sim for 4-5 mins so that bread pieces takes in flavor and also starts becoming little crisp towards edges . Switch off . Squeese lime and garnish with coriander leaves .
- Relish bread upma hot . If you want you can garnish with fine sev while serving .
- More the bread is old and hard .. more the apt to make bread upma . Since i use old dry bread i don't toast . However if you are using fresh bread , you can toast it a bit to avoid turning mushy .
- No need to remove edges .
- Adding veggies is optional . You can add whatever is handy like beans , peas , corn etc or completely skip and go with just onion tomatoes .
- Tastes best when served hot