How do you finish off those 1 or 2 brinjals sitting in your fridge ? I normally do brinjal raita,brinjal gojju or brinjal chutney from it .Today i have for you all one excellent side dish from roasted brinjal which tastes great with anything and everything. If you are looking for some new chutney variety to go along with your idli,dosa,rotti or rice you must try this ” Brinjal Chutney / Baingan Chutney “. They are just yumm..
Like baingan bharta, this recipe calls for roasting the eggplant on fire. Once the egg plant is roasted, it takes just few minutes to make this dish.Hmm..The roasted flavor of brinjal mixed with roasted spices gives a unique taste.Don’t you believe me? Experience it ..
- 1 or 2 Brinjal, round ones
- gooseberry size Tamarind
- Jaggery, - little ( optional )
- Salt, to taste
For Masala ( To roast )
- 1 1/2 tsps Split Black gram/ Urad dal
- 3 - 6 Red Chilli, - based on your spice level
- 2 - 3 pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- few Curry Leaves
To Temper :
- 1 + 2 tsps Coconut Oil / Any oil, ( to roast n to temper)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash the eggplant and pat dry.Rub its surface with a thin coat of oil.Keep it for roasting, on open flame.
- Keep turning the eggplant in between every 2-3 mins,so that it gets cooked everywhere completely and uniformly.
- Let the eggplant cool for 5-10 mins. Later peel its charred skin,discard the stem.Now roughly chop the brinjal into pieces.
- Heat a kadai with a little oil and roast urad dal ,red chillies ,curry leaves and hing.
- Fry till dal turns golden n chillies turn crisp.
- In a mixer first take all the roasted masala. Once they become a coarse powder,add the brinjal chunks,salt,tamarind and jaggery .Give it just 1 or 2 pulse. it should not become smooth paste.
- Prepare the tempering.In a small kadai ,take oil.Add mustard seeds.Once they splutter add curry leaves.Switch off .Pour this tempering on chutney.
- Serve brinjal chutney with rice / idli / dosa / roti / jolada rotti etc . Serve brinjal chutney with rice / idli / dosa / roti / jolada rotti etc .
- I've roasted eggplant on direct fire. If you want you can use grill / oven / coal .
- If you want you can boil / roast brinjal and later mash them too. But you will compromise with the taste. The smoky flavor takes this chutney to a new level.