Brinjal Gothsu recipe / Kathirikai Gothsu is a very popular Tamilnadu style Brinjal gravy that’s usually served as an accompaniment with Pongal / Idli . With coarsely ground cooked brinjal , freshly roasted spices , perfectly balanced flavour and texture .. this Brinjal gothsu tastes amazingly lipsmacking . If you are in the look out of some easy side dish .. Brinjal gothsu recipe will perfectly fit your requirement .
In my home everyone loves brinjal . I keep buying and making different brinjal dishes like brinjal chutney , brinjal raita , ennegai palya etc . Brinjal gothsu is also a family favorite . There are many ways to prepare this side dish. Traditionally when it is made .. usually onion is not added , but it’s addition enhances taste and i love it that way . Spicy , tangy and little sweetish , it’s a perfect accompaniment with Pongal / Idli / dosa .. i like with rice too 🙂 . Using the same masala , you can replace the brinjal with plain onion / tomato / lady s finger gothsu ..Do give a try .. i am sure you too will like it . Here you go..
BRINJAL GOTHSU RECIPE / KATHIRIKAI GOTHSU RECIPE / BADANEKAYI GOJJU
- 3-4 medium sized brinjal
- 1.5 tbsp Green gram / split moong dal, cooked
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, Finely chopped
- 1-2 nos Green Chilli, Finely chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- a pinch of Asafoetida/ hing
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- marble size Tamarind, soaked in water
- marble size Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
Masala - to roast and grind
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram channa dal
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi seeds
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 5-6 nos Red Chilli, as you pref
- Cut brinjal lengthwise , add little water , haldi and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles till soft . Keep it aside to cool .
- Meanwhile in kadai , saute all the ingredients given under " Masala - to roast & grind " . Let it get aromatic and golden browm . Powder once cooled .
- Also , by now brinjal would be cooled . Separate water and keep aside . Coarsely pulse cooked brinjal so that it blends well to give a good consistency to gothsu .
- In a big pan / kadai , add oil . Splutter mustard , cumin and hing . Later add onions , green chillies and curry leaves . Saute till onions are translucent .
- Later add chopped tomatoes , saute till mushy .
- Add pureed semi ground brinjal , water kept aside .Give it a mix .
- Add tamarind water, salt to taste , jaggery , cooked mashed dal , powdered masala and if required some more water . Mix everything well . Allow it to boil .Let the gothsu gravy thicken .
- Yummy Brinjal Gothsu / Tamilnadu style brinjal curry is ready . Enjoy ....
- If you have round purplebrinjals , you can roast in over flame , peel and use it . Tastes more awesome .
- Instead of onions , use small onions / shallots for more taste .
- Don't make gotsu bland . It must be tangy and little spicy .
- If you want you can make gothsu powder once & store for weeks .