Happy Makar Sankranthi wishes to everyone !!! May the rising Sun always bring prosperity and happiness to You !!! Since tomorrow is the festival , i guess everyone would be super busy with the preparations. In South India , Pongal (both sweet and spicy) is the main festive dish that is usually prepared in all houses for neivedhyam. Yesterday i posted a spicy version of cracked wheat pongal and as promised today i am here sharing with you all a healthier and more tastier version of the traditional Sakkare pongal – That’s ” Cracked Wheat Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet Dalia pongal ” .
Making sakkarai pongal is very easy but most of the people complain that their sweet pongal does not taste as yummy as the temple ones.Hmm.. i agree temple prasadams are so fingerlicking. There was a time , i used to visit temples just for these prasadams.The recipe that i am sharing today , tastes almost exactly like the temple style sweet pongal just that rice is replaced with broken wheat. The secreat of getting the authentic taste lies in the addition of spices. So don’t omit edible camphor, cloves and cardamom while doing this pongal . Do try friends .. i am sure you’l become a fan of this recipe and share it with your friends too….Here we go….
Check Out the Video recipe here :
BROKEN WHEAT SWEET PONGAL
- 1 cup Broken Wheat / dalia / lapsi
- 1/4 cup Green gram / split moong dal
- 3 cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery
- 2-4 tbsp Ghee
- 2 - 3 tbsp Grated dry coconut / kopra
- 1 Cloves/ Lavang, - crushed / powdered
- 2 Cardamom / elaichi, powdered
- pinch of Edible Camphor
- pinch of Salt
- Few Cashew nuts
- few Raisins
- Dry roast moong dal for 3-4 minutes in medium flame , without getting burnt.Let the dal get aromatic .Add cracked wheat and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and milk to it .Pressure cook till 5-6 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases , open the cooker and mash the dal n dalia mixture with the back of the laddle.Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai,add a tea spoon of ghee and fry cashews till they change in color. Fry raisins as well in the same pan till they fluff up.Switch off and add cloves powder.Keep it aside
- To the same vessel ,add jaggery and little water (Just enough to cover the jaggery). Stir occasionally to melt all the jaggery.When the jaggery melts filter to remove impurities .Keep it again on flame and bring to boil.
- Add the mashed dalia and dal mix to the jaggery syrup.Mix well so that there are no lumps in it.
- Keep the flame on low and stir in between so that the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom . Let the dalia absorb the jaggery syrup.
- When the mixture attains a good consistency ( ie they start becoming a mass ) , add ghee, roasted nuts, cardamom powder ,edible camphor and dry coconut. Mix well.Stir for 2-3 mins so that ghee gets nicely blended with the pongal and you are left with a creamy texture.
- Switch off . Delicious Cracked wheat Sakkarai pongal is ready for neivedhyam.
- Instead of cloves you can use nut meg powder.
- For pongal dalia has to be cooked mushy . So give 1-2 extra whistles and also mash well.
- Addition of ghee enhances the pongal. So don't omit it. However , dalia pongal doesn't require as much ghee like rice pongal.