Coconut Rice recipe with step by step pics | How to do Coconut rice | South Indian style Coconut rice recipe | Thengai Sadam recipe | Kayi Anna
Today i have an easy, simple and flavourful variety rice that’s very apt for your lunch box / if you are looking ways to clear left over rice / when you want to cook something in a jiffy. Yes friends, if you have cooked rice ready , making this tasty ” South Indian Style Coconut Rice ” hardly takes 10 minutes.
Coconut Rice is one of the basic south Indian food made from fresh coconut, rice and few tempering ingredients. The flavour of mildly roasted coconut is what makes this dish delicious. Since it’s a no – onion no garlic dish , you can make it for festivals too . Also it’s a perfect kids friendly dish too as it is mild in spices . It’s also known as Tengai sadam or kayi anna in tamil and kannada respectively.
Few points to note while making Coconut rice recipe :
- I would recommend coconut oil for this dish as it enhances taste . However if you are not used to the oil.. you can use ghee or sunflower oil .
- You can add few veggies to add some colors .
COCONUT RICE RECIPE | SOUTH INDIAN COCONUT RICE RECIPE | THENGAI SADAM
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 3/4 - 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, Slit
- Salt to taste
- 2-4 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad Dal / split black gram
- 1/2 tsp Channa Dal / bengal gram
- handful of Groundnuts / cashews / both
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 nos Red Chilli, broken
- Cook the rice and keep side . Take care not to make it mushy .
- take a kadai or Pan and temper in coconut oil .. mustard, urad dal, channa dal. Once they splutter add cashews/groundnut/ both and saute till its crisp.
- Once cashews are crispy and golden .. throw in curry leaves , broken red chilli and slit green chilli. Give a quick mix.
- Next goes grated coconut .. saute 3-4 mins on medium flame such that coconut is mildly roasted and aromatic . Let the moisture from coconut evaporate a bit .
- Add salt and mix. Switch off. Masala for coconut rice is ready .
- Add precooked rice to this coconut masala and mix well such that everything gets combined nicely .
- That's it .. easy and tasty South Indian style Coconut Rice ready .
- Enjoy Coconut rice as such / relish with some papad / spicy chutney ./ spicy potato roast