Looking for some low cal snacks to munch between your meals ,to mute those hunger pangs ?Looking for some healthy tea time snacks to binge without feeling guilty ? Here comes “Cornflakes Chiwda / Cornflakes Mixture ” to your rescue. Made within 15mins, with just a few spoons of oil they are not only a perfect guilt free snack but also yummy and filling. Make once and relish them for next few days…sounds cool isn’t it ??
Growing up , my mom often made these chiwda but from dried corn flakes.She would deep fry them first and then use in the recipe .To the chiwda she would later mix some beaten rice,boondi,sev etc and the end result would beat the store bought ones. But we being conscious and constant calorie counter ( hehe.. atleast we liked to be called so ..) try to limit deep fried stuff as far as possible. So for all those weight watchers ,here’s a quick and low –fat version that does not involve deep frying .Enjoy them without thinking twice about your weighing scale..Do try … I’m sure everyone will love it…whether on diet or not…
I am giving you the ingredients without the quantity.You can use according to your preference.
There is no hard rule for the measurements in this recipe. If you like peanuts more then add it more,Feel free to plus or minus the ingredients of your choice.The same holds for spice powders.
- 500 gms Ready instant Corn flakes, ( any brand ; thin variety preferred )
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Ground nuts Cashew nuts, split into halves (optional )
- Raisins, ( optional )
- Fried gram / Chutney dalia
- dry coconut, cut to small thin pieces ( optional )
- Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- Red chilli powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Chat Masala
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Raw Mango Powder / Aamchoor powder-
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- Salt to taste
- Keep all the ingredients ready .
- Heat oil in a kadai .Add mustard seeds.and groundnut.When they crackle add cashew pieces and dry coconut pieces.Fry them.When they are done add fried gram,raisins and curry leaves. Fry till raisins get bulged .
- Now to the tempering ,add turmeric,salt ,red chilli powder ,hing,chat masala and aamchoor powder.Quickly mix .
- Add cornflakes to it.Mix well.Taste test .Adjust the seasoning if required . Continuing frying the mixture for another 2-3 mins on low flame so that all the masala are well coated and cornflakes becomes super crisp.
- That's it.. our spicy crispy cornflakes chivda is ready to munch.Store in airtight container once it cools.Stays crisp for upto a month if handled well.
- I have given you the ingredients without the quantity.You can use according to your preference .There is no hard rule for the measurements in this recipe. If you like peanuts more then add it more,Feel free to plus or minus the ingredients of your choice.The same holds for spice powders
- If you want to this chiwda you can add some boondi /sev / mixture etc in the final stage.
- For extra flavor you can use little coriander powder / fennel powder / garlic / sugar/omit hing etc.Try and see which way you like.
- Thin cornflakes are better for this rather than thick ones. They make more crispy snack.
- You can also relish it with some chopped onion,tomatoes,carrot gratings etc sprinkled on them .