This is my first post and I’m super excited !!!
Today I bring to you Eeradde/Gensale/Kayikadubu. It is famous in Karnataka, especially in south Karnataka. It is also known as patholi in Konkani . Genasale is basically rice rolls stuffed with fresh coconut and jaggery mixture and steamed in turmeric leaf /banana leaf. In case you don’t get turmeric leaf, you can use banana leaf, but it tastes heavenly when cooked with turmeric leaves. Turmeric leaves are very aromatic and this aroma is transferred to the sweet dish. When steaming these delicacies, the whole house smells divine and i am sure, you have to keep aside a few for your neighbours.
We cook eeradde in turmeric leaf on Nagarapanchami and offer it as naivedhyam to snake god. Nagara Panchami is a festival of snakes celebrated on the 5th day of Shravan month, one of the auspicious month for hindus. There is another version of this dish – eeradde made without leaves which I will post sometime. And now time to search for your pen!
- 2 Cups Rice, ( you can use any rice )
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Fresh coconut, grated
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery, (according to taste)
- ½ tsp Green Cardamom / Elaichi Powder
- Few Turmeric / Banana Leaves,
- Soak rice in water for 2-3 hours and then grind to smooth batter with coconut & salt ; without adding too much of water.The batter consistency should be thick(thicker than milkshake).
- Heat a pan ,add jaggery and 1/2 cup of water and let it dissolve completely.Now add grated coconut and mix it well.Cook till it becomes dry and all the moisture evaporates .Add cardamom powder.
- Clean all the leaves,wipe them with kitchen towel and now its ready for stuffing.
- Now take some water in the idli steamer and keep for boil.
- Meanwhile arrange all the leaves in a row and start spreading the batter.Spread a table spoon of batter on each leaves as shown in the picture.Try to spread the batter evenly for the better results.
- Now take some stuffing and nicely spread it in a single line.The stuffing should be in the center.If you want more sweet then you can add little more stuffing.Fold it as shown in the pic
- Proceed the same with all the leaves.Once done its ready for steaming. you can either fold vertically or horizontally .
- Place them in a steamer / idli stand and steam cook them for 15 minutes on high flame and another 5-10 minutes in medium flame.When the turmeric /banana leaves fades in color, its an indication that eeradde is almost done .
- Let them cool down a bit,peel off the leaf before you serve. Serve them with dash of Ghee and honey (optional).
- You can do savory version of this too.Click here to see that recipe.
- 1 In case ,batter turned little watery you can add rice flour /maida .
- Short cut method to prepare outer covering : just prepare a batter from rice flour or maida.
- Short cut method to prepare filling is just add grated jaggery and mix it well with the coconut and your filling is ready.But i always prefer 1st method.
- Always arrange the eeradde in such a way that the steam passes through each and every eeradde while cooking.