ellu bella mix recipe| how to do Karnataka special ellu bella mix | sankranti ellu bella mix recipe | yellu bella recipe
Makara Sankranthi is just a couple of days away. So I thought of sharing ” Ellu Bella Mix ” recipe that’s one of the most popular dishes in Karnataka for this festival. Ellu-Bella ( A mixture of white Sesame Seeds, Chopped dried coconuts, roasted groundnuts, roasted chana dal and jaggery), Sakkare achchu ( Sugar figurines ) along with a piece of sugarcane and banana are exchanged among friends and relatives in various regions of Karnataka. When we were kids, we used to wear a new colourful dress, fill ellu bella with sakkare achchu in small packets and look forward to “ellu beero ” tradition with so much excitement. Festivals are always filled with nostalgic childhood memories, isn’t it..?
Ellu Bella is basically a mix of 5 main ingredients – Sesame seeds, Jaggery, Dried coconut pieces, Roasted Peanuts and Fried Gram dal. There is a saying in Kannada “Ellu Bella Thindu Olle Maathadi” which translates to ‘Eat the mixture of sesame seeds and jaggery and speak only good.’ This ellu bella mix is exchanged with friends & relatives to celebrate the harvest festival and as a token of love and friendship.
Though ellu bella and sakkare achchu are available readymades in stores but it can never match the joy of homemade nor the taste. Making ellu bella at home is actually not difficult nor has any fixed recipe but needs lot of patience as kopra, jaggery needs to be finely chopped, peanut needs to be roasted and deskinned etc. Once we have these ingredients chopped and sun-dried , all we have to do is mix well based on our prefered proportion. Some people add an equal measure of all the ingredients whereas some like more jaggery/peanut. Do try this healthy trail mix and enjoy them guilt-free .
do check out the video recipe of making sakkare achchu here
you may also like these sankranti dishes
ELLU BELLA MIX RECIPE | SANKRANTI ELLU BELLA MIX RECIPE
- 1 cup Peanuts/ground nuts/kadlekai
- 1 cup roasted Chana dal / Fried gram / hurikadle
- 1 cup Jaggery / achhu bella
- 3/4 cup dry cococonut / kopra
- 1/4 cup White sesame / White til / nylon ellu
- candy cumins ( jeerige mitai ) , optional
- Remove the brown part of dry coconut by using a grater. Slice into thin slices using a knife or chips slicer. Stack few slices together and chop fine. Sundry for 1-2 days so that they become more crisp and shelf life increases.
- Also, cut the jaggery into small pieces. you can use a knife or nutcracker (adike kattari) for this. Sundry for 1-2 days.
- Dry roast groundnuts and remove the skin, once cool. Split into halves. Take care not to brown or over roast.
- In the same pan add sesame seeds and dry roast till it starts crackling. Keep it aside.
- Warm chutney dal.
- Take a mixing bowl and start adding all the above ingredients with one after other and mix it well. If you want can add candy cumins too
- Healthy, tasty, Ellu Bella Mix is ready. Store in an airtight container and enjoy for the next few days.