Idiyappam Recipe , how to do soft Idiyappam recipe with step by step pics, Kerala style idiyappam recipe , Nool Puttu recipe , String hopper recipe . Easy Kerala style String hopper
Today i have for you all one of our family favorite dish .. IDIYAPPAM . Idiyappam is basically string hoppers and is a very common dish in Tamil Nadu and Kerala ( Noolu Puttu ) . Soft and fluffy idiyappam served with spicy curry , veg stew and sweet coconut milk .. aah .. a fest in itself . The leftovers goes into making lemon sevai or kaisasive chitranna .. which i equally love too 🙂
I have shared before Akki ottu shavige from matta rice .. which is the traditional way made at Udupi , Mangalore Coastal Karnataka .For people who are wondering what this Ottu shavige is .. for better understanding one can say them as handmade rice noodles .
There are many ways one can make these string hoppers . Today’s post Idiyappam is Kerala / Tamilnadu style of making string hoppers and the method of making it .. is entirely different than the earlier shared Ottu shavige . This idiyappam recipe is prepared from rice flour , partially cooked , pressed to noodles and then later it is steamed.
Few points to note while making Idiyappam Recipe:
- Always use fine rice flour for making Idiyappam . I use regular rice plain flour .
- Dry roast for 3-4 mins till it’s hot .Make sure to retain color . This warming up of rice flour helps in absorption of more water making the idiayppam soft and fluffy .
- Don’t allow the flour to get too cold while kneading.Knead it when it is manageable hot.Kneading process is very vital.Better you need nicer the dough and longer the strands .
- Since we are kneading the dough when its hot only , it would be difficult for us to handle the dough bear hands. Thats why we are putting it in polythene cover and knead later .
- Don’t over stem idiyappam .. else it will dry out .
Do give a try for your weekend breakfast or lunch and you will surely agree with me… Tummy full dil bhi khush….
IDIYAPPAM RECIPE | HOW TO DO IDIYAPPAM | NOOL PUTTU | STRING HOPPER
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1.5 cup Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- grated coconut, optional
- In a pan / kadai , Roast the flour on medium flame until the flour is very hot to the touch.
- In the same pan ,boil the water along with a tbsp oil and salt to taste.
- When water starts bubbling, keep on sim & dunk in the rice flour . Do not stir.Leave for 1-2 mins. Later stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to bring the dough together. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 4-5 minutes.
- When the dough is still warm , transfer it into a clean polythene cover and knead. Knead it nicely to form a very smooth lumpless dough. Dough for Idiyappam is ready .
- Grease idli plates . Drizzle little coconut gratings on each plate .
- Grease chakli mould and press . You can choose either small or big holed plate .
- Divide the dough into parts . Add one part of the dough to the mould & press on idli plate . Mkae sure to press the dough when it's still hot. It becomes hard to press when the dough cools down.
- Once the dough is pressed, transfer the plates to a preheated steamer and steam the idiyappam for 10 minutes. layter , rest the idiyappam for 2-3 mins before removing fro idli plate .
- Hot , soft and fluffy idiyappam is ready to relish . Enjoy it with Veg kurma / coconut milk / spicy non veg curry / veg stew . .ake lemon sevai etc from it ..