- Are you travelling out of country and want to be safe carrying your own food ?
- Is your bachelor son / daughter going away from home for studies / work ? Worried about their food ?
- Are you leaving your novice , busy hubby back home ?
- Are you looking for some handy options to fix breakfast in a jiffy ?
The solution to all the above situations lies in my today’s post ” Instant Gojju Avalakki Mix / Instant Tamarind Poha Mix ” . “Gojjavalakki“,is an authentic recipe from Karnataka.,which is simple yet delicious . It is spicy , tangy and little sweetish . Some people call this as huli avalakki mix too .I always love to stock this instant mix in my pantry as its very handy for busy mornings and .
Now a days in market you can see so many ready to eat packets .Though we all know these colorful tetra packs are filled with preservatives .. we end up buying as the word “Instant” / ” Ready To Eat ” attracts us . Let me tell you making them at home is so simple , easy and delcious too . Plus homemade is zero preservative …. make once and sit back relaxed for next few days . I always pack this , upma mix , poha mix etc to my hubby when he is travelling abroad . But for today lets see how to do instant gojjavalakki mix.. here you go….
Instant Gojjavalakki Mix
- 250 gm Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki thick variety
- Small lemon size Tamarind
- 2 tsp Rasam powder
- 2-3 tsp Jaggery
- little grated dry coconut / kopra / for just garnish optional
- Salt to taste
Spl magic masala ( Dont skip )
- 1/2 tsp Blackgram / urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 7-8 nos Black Pepper
- 1-2 tsp Black sesame / Til
- 4-5 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Blackgram / urad dal
- Groundnut as much as you like
- a pinch Haldi turmeric
- few Curry Leaves
- Take small amounts of beaten rice and coarsely powder it by pulsing couple of times in a mixer . Make sure you don't powder it finely.It should be like the Rava consistency. Transfer it to a big mixing bowl .
- Next take a kadai / pan . Add few drops of oil and fry tamarind on low flame such that they become crisp . Once it cools , powder them to get tamarind powder .
- Meanwhile to the same kadai / pan , add few drops of oil and roast chana dal,urad dal,pepper and sesame seeds till it gives out nice aroma.Cool and set aside.
- Transfer the roasted spices , salt , jaggery and dry coconut pieces to a mixer and dry grind them to make a powder ( no need super smooth ) . If you want you can skip dry coconut (kopra)/ add grated version lastly just for garnishing .
- Prepare the tempering.Heat oil in a pan .When the oil is hot enough,add mustard seeds,peanuts,urad dal, chana dal. When they splutter add haldi,hing , red chilli , curry leaves and switch off.
- Now time to mix everything together . To the coarse poha powder pour tempering , add rasam powder , tamarind powder , Masala + sesame + kopra mix ( the one we made in step 4 ) . Mix everything well . Taste test . Salt ,spice and tang should be little more . They will get balanced later .
- Now the instant Gojju avallakki mix / Tamarind poha mix is ready . Store in air tight container and use as when required . Stays good for months together even in room temperature if handled well .
How to make Gojjavalakki from ready to eat Instant mix :
- In a bowl take gojjavalakki mix as required . ( Note that after soaking , quantity of poha will double . So if you need 1 cup gojjavallakki , better to take only 3/4 th cup of instant mix )
- Add regular water / warm water such that it stands about 1 cm above the poha . Mix well. At this point the poha should be little watery. Mix it once and allow it to rest for 15-20 mins. The poha will soak up all the water and will puff up later .
- After 15 - 20 mins , you will see that all the water would have been absorbed and gojju avalakki would have got desired consistency .
- Gently mix once and Serve gojjavalakki as such or with curds. Personally, I love to have this with thick curd because of its sweet-sour-spicy flavor.
- Poha must be thick type only.
- Before making a coarse powder, you can just make poha a bit crisp as it eases the process. It can be made crisp either by keeping in Sun or dry roasting a bit in gas /oven.
- After adding tamrind-rasam powder-salt-jaggery to the coarse poha mix,Taste it.The mixture should taste little strong,there should be a little extra of all ingredients, as poha is yet to absorb the spices.
- If you want you can omit ,dal-pepper-sesame powder .But i would recommend you to add it as it gives extra taste.
- Addition of kopra is purely optional but i add always as it enhances the taste . Don't worry .. since we are using kopra .. shelf life wont be reduced .
- you can increases the quantity proportionately .